Sunsun Impeller Removal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Would appreciate some advice on this topic, please. Have had the 302 model for a week now and couldn't be more pleased. Just thought it would be a good idea to add some vaseline to the magnet housing.
By the way, after a filter cleaning I found that it was not necessary to reprime the canister at all. The lever which secures the hose connections piece also opens both valves automatically, so that snapping it closed quickly refilled the empty canister.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
If it aint broke..don't mess with it. Vaseline will make sand or any grit stick.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Don't add grease to the magnet housing. A thin coating a metal shaft is all you want.
Ceramic shafts need no grease. I believe the Sunsun's have ceramic shafts.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Im not sitting in front of mine as I am currently at the library, but am planning a new DIY conversion of both my 2 Sunsun 134a into circumference type filters similar to my CFS500. As a result I have pulled the impeller out of its housing several times to plan the fabrication of an intake tube and strainer that will sit center inside layers of sponge. As I recall the impeller spindle and magnet are attached to an intake cover with 2 ears so that it can be twisted open counter-clockwise then pulled strait out. The magnet is strong and will be hard to pull out strait, be careful not to bend or brake the nylon spindle the magnet rides on. After removal clean out and sand and slime completely off the magnet, spindle, and housing. Then just reassemble and lock back in place twisting the cover clockwise so that the locking lugs lock into place.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
:headshake2:no.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store