What is a good quality substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Hey all so I am switching over my 75g to my 110g tall tank here in the next few weeks since its been filled up for 2 or 3 months since I did the reseal and I want new substrate. I think I want to stick with gravel to use the UGF but not heat set on it and also I want black substrate. I have black/blue substrate but just the stuff you buy at petsmart and many pieces have lost their color. So I was wondering if there is a higher quality stuff that wont lost color.. Ideally it will be something I can find at a LFS or store locally not sold exclusively online since shipping on substrate is so pricey.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
oh pooh. I just read the header and thought you meant "substrate in general". Did not realize you had already narrowed it down to gravel. So I got you this link to AquariumPlants.com stuff for nothing.

never mind. :)

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Well if you are set on using a UGF then you pretty much are limited to gravel. I can't say that I know if one brand or supplier has better color stability than an other.

If you aren't using a UGF then you have lots of options, but we'd need more info on what kind of setup you're trying to create.

If you just want something inert like gravel for a fish only setup I'd lean toward black diamond sand blasting grit. Way cheaper than LFS aquarium gravel or sand and looks beautiful IMO.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well I have a 110 planted tank but it can be inert, I use root tabs and it seems to work well so far. If sand is better for plants theres no reason I cant use it

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
well not that you have to do what I do, but I do dirt bases for all my planted tanks. I use a base layer of miracle grow organic potting soil and cover/cap it with a good inch or more of gravel/sand. What you use for a cap is mostly a matter of what you like the look of as either will work.

Another option would be a high CEC substrate like fourite or eco-complete etc... And sometimes you can find a deal on shipping. I just got a couple bags of eco-complete(to use as a cap of soil in my new tank) and the shipping was free from drfostersmith.com because of how much I ordered.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Yes that's the stuff. There is more than one grain size though and I'm not sure which one works best

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Went today and they only had one bag :( need 2 and the one was ripped so I didnt buy it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store