Recommend some community fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Hey guys.. I have little experience with community fish. I'm looking for some dither fish for my Fire Eel tank. They need to be fairly peaceful and definitely not shy, I'd prefer a schooling fish. I have a Power Glo bulb on the tank so if the fish has blue coloration in it that would be a plus. Lastly they need to be accessible at places like Petsmart or Petco.. I don't intend to special order any community fish.

I'd prefer the fish to reach in the 3"+ range as the fire eel could snack on it. The eel is still small so I'm not worried about that yet.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
My favorite schooling fish are emperor tetras. They are a medium size schooling fish and the males will reach 3". I just really like their colors and the males have like a fluorescent blue eye and tip on their display fin and females have a fluorescent green eye.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I would recommend some Rosy Barbs. They grow up to 5 inches, and are rather speedy little things, They aren't always peaceful though, so keep them in groups of 5+. Learned that the hard way:) And yes, they are available at Petsmart.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Giant danios. Pretty colorful, get around 4", and great fun to watch. They are incredibly fast so it is unlikely that even small ones will get eaten.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I had Giant Danio's as dithers in my old Dovii setup but they did not last through the night. I really liked them but I don't recall them having much coloration. I'll have to look into them some more.

Will they eat the plants in the tank? I had silver dollars once and I could not keep any live plants.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I had Giant Danio's as dithers in my old Dovii setup but they did not last through the night. I really liked them but I don't recall them having much coloration. I'll have to look into them some more.

Will they eat the plants in the tank? I had silver dollars once and I could not keep any live plants.
Silver dollars are one of those fish that have a particular fondness for plants...none mentioned so far share that trait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store