Nano tank colony: Enlders or Least killies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am planning on setting up a 8g planted tank and I want to have a small colony of breeding fish. This tank will be very low tech (no heater, maybe a sponge filter). Which fish should I choose? If you know of another species feel free to chime in.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Least killies are interesting, very hardy. Great for a tank with no heater. They sure aren't flashy though...very plain fish. Endlers are much prettier but their behavior is less fun to watch, IMO.

Other species could be some of the nano fish Msjinkzd carries such as the Boraras sp.

I don't really know of any other schooling species, but a Badis badis might be ok in there or a betta, of course. Some bettas can be quite interesting looking - I just picked up a pale blue one with a dark blue head, quite an unusual guy!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Pygmy Sunfish. You can catch your own.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Since there's no heater, what temps are we talking about?

In my 10g I had Elassoma sp. with some pygmy killies (L. ommata). Both are supposed to be somewhat easy to breed given the right conditions, although breeding is less likely when put together for obvious reasons. I didn't have any luck with the pygmy sunfish though...they never liked flake, barely touched frozen, and I was too late with live foods so they eventually withered away after being stressed from a move. Others seem to have better luck though, so it's probably just me...figures.

Anyways, I really do like the pygmy killies though. The males have a striking gold color when mature and in a peaceful setting.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I already have Boraras sp. (naevus). The temps are around 65F in winter at night and 78 during summer. If I really need to I do have a heater. If possible I want some pretty hardy fish. I have a few places to get live food, but it is kind of a hassle (although sometimes worth it).

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
you could do some psuedomugil sp. if the temps are tropical, they are known to breed fairly constantly if happy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store