mollies, platies or swordtails with betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Does anyone have experience keeping a male betta with mollies, platies or swordtails? Are they compatible?

I heard from some they are but wanted to know what everyone here thinks. I have a 55g tank so the size always helps. Plus I was thinking of trying to get mostly female mollies, platies and swordtails to further minimize any possible aggression.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
My only experience mixing is a brief time when I had swords (1m, 2f) with female bettas. The male sword was a little terror though, so he was gone very quickly. The females were basically like platies though...pretty peaceful and low maintenance. I don't know much about mollies per se, but with livebearers it seems like most of the compatibility problems arise when you add in the overzealous males who want to breed with everything, whether it moves or not.

That being said, a lot will come down to how your betta reacts. Some are fine with certain tankmates and others are best by themselves, or at least with less noticeable tankmates. I think it would be a good idea to make sure you keep an eye on things and have an established back up plan in case things go south.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
a lot will come down to how your betta reacts. Some are fine with certain tankmates and others are best by themselves, or at least with less noticeable tankmates. I think it would be a good idea to make sure you keep an eye on things and have an established back up plan in case things go south.
Exactly. I had a male betta that got along with everyone, even male guppies, and the betta didn't even bother the fry. Then I've had males that would attack anything, even apple snails. Even some of my female bettas have been aggressive, I have one that is just plain evil. Anything smaller than her she goes after. I have her in my 46 gallon tank now, she has enough space to carve out her own territory now.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
According to some research I've read on male betta aggerssion, bettas seem to flare at and be more aggressive to darker/bolder colored objects. It might make at least the betta more comfortable if the fish you choose are lighter and paler in color. This isnt a guarantee, but it is not a bad idea to consider.

doormatt17

AC Members
Mar 27, 2012
Edwardsville, IL
Real Name
Matt
I've had mixed experience with my bettas and platies. The male that I have with them now could seem to care less that they are there. The other male that I had rescued had nothing to do with them and chased them around all of the time. It comes down to the betta I guess. I hope everything works out because I love having both of those types of fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store