Neolamprologus brichardi - eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
I've had 2 N. brichardi in a 29 gallon tank for something like 2 years now. I have never figured out if they are male and female or not. I've sort of assumed that they weren't, or that they just... don't like each other, for lack of a better way of putting it. It's not that I've actively tried to breed them, but I just sort of felt like being just them in a tank for so long they'd have some offspring if they were able.

Just now I noticed that on some of the wood and rocks in there are what appears to be a bunch of white eggs. So I'm going to post some pictures and see if anyone concurs. If they are eggs, maybe someone could give me some advice on how to make it more likely that these two will start putting out some viable offspring.

Currently the tank has pea gravel as a substrate, some driftwood and rocks. It's very often got a lot of dark green algae on the glass and some of the rocks - I think it's BBA. I've tried some things to get rid of it but I guess never attacked it too seriously. Maybe I'll get a picture of the two fish too to see if anyone can tell whether they're male and female. From descriptions I've read they SEEM like a male and female. So maybe the conditions just haven't been right all along.

some pictures. Since it's hard to get a feel for what you're seeing in the 2nd image - the rock the white things are on is vertical there. I don't know if these fish stick eggs to surfaces like this?

Any thoughts?
eggs1.jpg
eggs2.jpg

eggs1.jpg eggs2.jpg

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Looks like eggs but they look like they went bad, at any rate Tanganyika fish take a few yrs to mature and sometimes they do not get it right the first time around and actually they will come together soon, just remember they are great parents.. I have had Tang's go for about 4 yrs and not breed..

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool and they just look like there not fertilized and placed sporadic immature fish breeding but they will pull it together soon, the male usually is aggressive towards the female when breeding but not overly aggressive just keep an eye on them and you are right on target to add more objects so the female can elude him when she is not in the mood so to say..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store