Cherry barbs dying one by one

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kazschofy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2012
Ive set up a 30L quarantine with a ugf. It has plants, sponges and ornaments from the main ( v healthy) tank and everything seemed okay for the first few days. However, they weren't eating and I've lost one a day for the last 3 days.
They are keeping their fins close in and look rather skinny compared to my others. The perameters are good aside from ammonia at trace (?) levels (2.5ppm) which is probably due to the deaths
They looked listless in the lfs do asked to see them feed which they did with gusto. What could it be?
I have two left. Please help.

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
2.5ppm Ammonia is not trace! Did you mean 0.25? If it is cycled, there should be none in there. I am going to say what everyone else is going to say. Get some prime in there STAT to help with the ammonia toxicity.

Kazschofy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2012
Whoops yes 0:25ppm. Lowest reading the API test set gives. Will endeavour to get Prime asap

Kazschofy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2012
I'm off to Urmston later today to get Prime. But something I forgot to mention is their twitching. They appear to twitch one the spot rather than the smooth movements of their cousins in the other tank. Is that ammonia poisoning or something else?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Ammonia in a QT tank is especially not good since they have been under quite a bit of stress since their introduction. It sounds like you have started to get that under control.

Poor stock could also be a factor, although it's not something you can really prove to be the cause of death.

How often are you changing the water?

Kazschofy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2012
I do a 30% every other day although I'm concerned this may stress them....
They appear to enjoy the refreshment as this is the only time I see them. They come to play near the siphon giving out the fresh water.
I am concerned at the twitching tho'

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Oh nooo! Never buy the listless fish at the LFS.

The .25 ammonia level could have been from the increased bio-load of dead fish. Even a cycled tank can experience a slight temporary ammonia increase if the bio-load is larger than normal. Definitely go with some Prime to keep it from impacting the tank too hard.

However, that doesn't explain what killed the first ones. Did they show any symptomatic behavior prior to the first deaths?

How do their fins look? The Cherry Barbs that I've owned seemed rather prone to fin rot.

Kazschofy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2012
There have been no losses for over 24hrs now and Prime is finally in the tank. I've also seen them eat which is a bonus. They still hide a lot and twitch but here's crossing my fingers.... Do you reckon I should do more water changes or less?
I feel rather stupid getting them now, but their cousins were from the same place. Thank goodness I didnt follow the LFS advice (no need to quarantine).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store