Neolamprologus multifasciatus newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Samwise0214

AC Members
Jul 23, 2012
NNJ
Real Name
Sam
I wanted to start a multie tank in my 10 gal and since i have never kept them i have a few questions. Ready? Go!

1: I currently have a fine gravel substrate. Is that something they could dig in or should I get sand?

2: Would it be bad to mix gravel and sand, or would that accomplish nothing?

3: If I do go the sand route, i have heard that anaerobic pockets can build up and potentially harm the fish. Any thoughts?

4: Tankmates?

5: I have a Tetra whisper filter. Is that adequate? Will it suck up any potential fry? If so, how can i stop that? http://www.petco.com/product/107131....aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_AquariumFilters

6: What is a good shell to fish ratio?

I appreciate answers to any and all questions, and please feel free to offer suggestions or experiences that you think will be helpful. I am not opposed to a little constructive criticism. I would rather not have this all go horribly wrong, ya know?

Thanks

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
1) I'm not sure how well they would do with fine gravel...are the grains small enough to fit in their mouths? They really like to dig down to get their shell pit situated correctly, so that's about the only issue you may run into.

2) I would assume that, eventually, the gravel would just end up on top of the finer grained sand.

3) The multis will do enough digging to alleviate that problem, IME. You can always manually stir if it makes you feel better.

4) In a 10 gallon, none. Focus more on making sure you don't let the colony get bigger than the small space allows. In addition to removing fry you should keep an eye out for unruly males,

5) I'm not a big fan of the Tetra filters, but it could be enough. Usually they are rated for more than they actually filter though...it wouldn't hurt to get one with a bigger work load. Use some sort of prefilter, foam or even nylong leggings over the filter intake.

6) I say at least 2-3 shells per fish, but more is better, especially since you will end up with more fish once they start breeding. They really don't need any other decor to be comfortable, so feel free to just blanket the bottom with shells.

Samwise0214

AC Members
Jul 23, 2012
NNJ
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for getting back so quickly. I think i will go with sand, and I work on a gold course so i can get as much as i want, though it will probably need more washing than normal aquarium sand. How deep should i make the sand? I know they will rearrange, but i am curious as to how much to put in volume wise. is one inch enough? too much?

You not think i will need snails or shrimp to cut down on uneaten food or algae?

And could you further explain the prefilter. Am i actually going to put a piece of nylon over the bottom or is there more to it?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
To add def use sand only a inch is suffice trust me they will rearrange it, for a tank that size you can do away with the HOB filter and use a nice powerhead like maxi jet with a sponge, with water changes and cleaning the sponge routinely like once a week you will be fine and the sponge will act as a fry saver..

I use powerheads and sponges on 20gals or less setups and never any issues.. Shrimps will be killed but you can add snails spixi will be fine as long as you do not add live plants..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

Samwise0214

AC Members
Jul 23, 2012
NNJ
Real Name
Sam
would combining filtration methods be a good idea. get more water movement? I wasn't going to add live plants so the snails could work.

Samwise0214

AC Members
Jul 23, 2012
NNJ
Real Name
Sam
i got the maxi jet 400 power head. do you think that is too much, pittbull, or is that the one you use?
http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/detail.aspx?id=3421
I also got some sand and i am rinsing it. now if i can get the guy from finsanity to get back to me i will be good to go. Does no one from here live in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and have these? I would much rather give my money to a member.

Samwise0214

AC Members
Jul 23, 2012
NNJ
Real Name
Sam
Oh and with a power head how do you grow a bacterial colony? It seems like there is no way to incorporate filter media.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have used the Maxi jet 400 and 600 with the sponge and worked fine for me, as for bacterial colonies they were present in the setup, i used Texas holey rock and Anubias nana plants, the holes in the rock act as nice anchors for the Anubias just be careful with Spixi snails and Anubias they seem to have a taste for the plants.. As for the media debate as long as you are doing the water changes and cleaning the sponge all water values should stay within check..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store