GloFish... Unethical or awesome???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFishWife

AC Members
May 29, 2012
We currently have a sw tank that I leave the hubby to take care of. My experience has always been with fw and I want my own tank to care for. I have always thought GloFish were interesting but I know there are some ethical debates around them. I thought they would be a cool addition to our menagerie of pets (and also work as a form of nightlight). We also are planning to do a larger fw setup at a later date... So my question to ya'll is... Do you think they are unethical or awesome???

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I don't see how it's unethical unless you think all genetic manipulation is a crime...but you wont see any in my tanks. They're tacky as all heck!
+1

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If genetic manipulation is a crime, then most fish that have developed over the years are a crime...look at fancy goldies...or breeding for traits to get color/looks...same for dogs really..just a different means to get there...

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
If genetic manipulation is a crime, then most fish that have developed over the years are a crime...look at fancy goldies...or breeding for traits to get color/looks...same for dogs really..just a different means to get there...
Yeah but are those gm's trade marked like glofish. Not my cup of tea.

BucketFishWife

AC Members
May 29, 2012
I don't see how it's unethical unless you think all genetic manipulation is a crime...but you wont see any in my tanks. They're tacky as all heck!
Oh I agree they are tacky... This would be our fun "secret" tank, a throwback to those blacklight posters I hung in my college dorm room next to the bottles of water with highlighters floating in them.... We want to do a large classic fw tank to go with our sw at a later date.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I have 2 of each color in my tank. I personally like them. My LFS claims if you breed normal danios and glo's you'll end up with a blue striped glo fish...just saying.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Awesome, kind of. I only wish I could get some here in California but unfortunately they're banned for some reason. Could be why I want them.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I like the cosmic blue ones (I think that's what they're called) since they actually look like a natural variation.

I don't think it is unethical per se, but the fact that they are treated like decorations and the aquariums designed for them are made like toys, the abuse potential is really high. So the glofish themselves are not unethical, but rather the glofish tanks are...which would not exist if glofish didn't exist. I'm sure people would still put small fish in 1 gallon tanks, but not at the same rate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store