ideas for ten gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
soooo I have a ten gallon thats been up for like a year and a half as a planted community tank. I became a lifeguard, got lazy, and lost pretty much all of my plants and all my fish except for five neon tetras. Now I'm trying to get it up and running again, but I'm not really diggin the community tank so much anymore. Instead I'd like a carnivorous beast thats going to wreak havoc in my fish tank, but theres not a lot of options for a tank this small. I searched it but didnt come up with many results. Any ideas? I'm down for anything aquatic except african clawed frogs.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
My Florida flagfish acts like a mini Oscar... But he doesn't completely wreck havoc on the tank.

On the other hand my male lyretail Molly tried to mate with my corydayas catfish last night...

Both Of these fish are in the 10 gallon witch include: 2 corydayas catfish, 4 lyretail mollies, 2 mystery snails, and for a little bit, an African featherfin catfish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
it doesnt have to wreak havoc, mostly i just want a cool, interesting creature. I had a beta in there once and I loved him, if all else fails ill just get another

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You could try getting some shrimp to spice the tank up a bit, Red Cherry Shrimp are a great species to start off with. Any other neocardinia or ghost shrimps would work too, but IMO the ghosts are kinda dull and other neocardinia are much more expensive than red cherries.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I use my 10g for fry grow outs and shrimp and plants. You can house two or three Bettas in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
But you would need to to divide the tank in order to do so, unless assuming you are putting multiple females together.

eth0s

AC Members
Mar 28, 2012
Paradise Fish are pretty aggressive, and gorgeous too. Recommended tank size seems to be up for debate though. Some say a 10g is fine, others say they need at least 20.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
I really like the paradise fish. Not completely sold though because of the discrepancies between tank sizes. Keep em coming, thanks for all the feed back :)

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Is eventually upgrading the tank an option, or do you need something that can stay in a 10 gallon indefinitely?

A leaf fish may be an interesting addition. It can get to 6 inches, so a 20 gallon tank may be a better option.

If it needs to stay in a 10 gallon tank permanently, a wild betta type might be a good option. Betta patoti is a neat fish, almost like a mini-arrowana and doesn't get too big. Unlike Betta splendens they need a decent amount of current and prefer lower temperatures. In a ten gallon one would be best. A 20 long could house a pair.

http://www.ibcbettas.org/smp/species/patoti.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store