Anyone have Panda Garras? (Garra flavatra)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Not sure where to post this but they are suckermouth cats, so I guess this sections right.

I've seen them in the petstore a few times and always wondered what they were. From everything I've read they're supposed to be peaceful omnivores who graze algae but readily accept bloodworms etc. Are they compatible with Otto cats & Kuhli loaches? I also have Redwags, Neon Tetras, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Glass Catfish & a Dojo loach.

Any information on the species is welcome. ;]

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
They are very peaceful, yet entertaining fish. I have a breeding pair and about 50 juveniles still that are a blast to watch. They are definitely active fish that tend to become more active in groups and are constantly grazing. They eat pretty much everything you put in the tank.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I have two, in a 90 gallon with a school of roseline barbs, a school of giant danios, a rainbow shark and some zebra loaches. They've proven to be great algae eaters, they're always out and about, and a lotta fun to watch.

They are actually cyprinids more closely related to danios, barbs, goldfish and my rainbow shark than to true loaches, and are even less closely related to plecos.

f1sleepy, is there any way to determine sex, or is it luck of the draw? What is their spawning behavior like? Mine are always circlin' each other with fins flared and their bodies wigglin', and they are near inseparable.

WYite

Last edited:

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for the web page & information. I just wasn't sure if they got aggressive when they matured. They seem like very interesting little fish and I love the way they're colored.

Not to be rude but for the number of stock I have a 29 gallon is fine. All my fish are really shy, so if you were to look into my tank you wouldn't even know I had 16 fish in there.

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
The 3 bht's (all female) I have are actually decently sized maxing out at a little bigger then 4 inches. I never see adult ones in my lfs's & the ones my friend had never got bigger then 3 inches, so yeah they do get quite big. I'm also aware dojo's can get big & the spotted one I have is around 8.

I've actually thought about rehoming some of the fish I have and replacing the stock with different fish. I rehomed the Neons (5 of them) to a friend who has a school of 13. I might also rehome the platys & eventually get Rams but that'll be a while.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
I have two, in a 90 gallon with a school of roseline barbs, a school of giant danios, a rainbow shark and some zebra loaches. They've proven to be great algae eaters, they're always out and about, and a lotta fun to watch.

They are actually cyprinids more closely related to danios, barbs, goldfish and my rainbow shark than to true loaches, and are even less closely related to plecos.

f1sleepy, is there any way to determine sex, or is it luck of the draw? What is their spawning behavior like? Mine are always circlin' each other with fins flared and their bodies wigglin', and they are near inseparable.

WYite
Sorry I never replied, I've been away for work for a couple weeks now. I'll try to give you some usable info once I get back and have access to a computer. Typing on my phone is a pain haha.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
No problem, know how that goes. :) Lookin' forward to it.

WYite

Paulfishmystery

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2019
I have 1 panda garra 3 sae. 1 hillstream loach until recently. And have observed the the garra wich is still only about 6cm long is becoming a bully. Even over 10 cm sae. Feeding time comes and it pushes all the other fish away guarding it. My hillstream has disappeared. And I think the panda might of had something to do with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store