Pool sand vs Aquarium Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
Ok, I'm getting my 125 assembly started this weekend, and am about ready to buy sand. I've been told that Pool sand is acceptable to use in a fw tank, but I wanted to double check that before I buy some. My only real reason for asking is the difference in price. Tank specifics: Dwarf Flag Cichlids will be the largest group in the tank, but other residents will be Boesemani's Rainbowfish, Pictus, Plecos (undecided species), and banjo cats, so there will be some burrowing kids. Only plants will be some Java Ferns.

Is there anything special I should look for, as preferential, or detrimental?

In my 55, I used the popular brand of aquarium sand that I can't remember the name of... clear and blue bag, comes in like 15 lb amounts? But I remember reading that for lighter colors, pool sand works as well, as like half the cost.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I use pool filter sand in most of my tanks, with corydoras. I think it's great. It requires little rinsing before use, unlike most other sand. Also, it is usually fairly heavy, so that it does not get removed from the tank when you use a gravel vacuum, if you are careful. It also does not tend to get in filters.

It's not particularly good for planted tanks, but that will not affect Java fern, because that plant does not grow in the substrate.

Only question is the color. PFS comes in a variety of colors (after all, who cares about the color of sand inside a pool filter) and you usually can't see the sand inside the bag before you buy it. You might ask the store to look inside the bag.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
I've got pool filter and in all of my tanks. All of my tanks also have corydoras in them. Never had a problem with the combination.

Pool filter sand is cheap and is a natural white (as opposed to the bleach white) and has a larger grain that sinks quickly. some aquarium sands have a consistency similar to that of flour or sugar and can remain suspended in the water column for an extended period of time, which raises the chances the filter will draw it in and damage the impeller.

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
Is the grain large enough to cause issue for "burrowing" fish, like the Banjo cats, or pitbull plecos?
Now I just have to figure out how much I need... lol I assume it's sold by weight, like most sand, not by cubic volume like concrete?

Thank you both for your advice and feedback! :)

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I don't keep either of those fish, but a friend of mine keeps a variety of plecos on PFS without issue. Corydoras certainly plow through the sand looking for food.

It's sold by weight. I don't really know how much you'd need, but I'd think at least two bags and maybe more, depending how deep you want it to be. But it should cost no more than $10/bag.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I would say the shade of the sand may vary from batch to batch, but c'mon...it's SAND color :) The shade will even vary depending on how wet the sand is at the store...it's usually lighter when dry.

Bottom line: it's fine for fish, cheap and natural looking.

The stuff I buy comes in clear bags, so that may be a regional or brand thing....and I pay $7-8 per 50lb bag. Probably 2-4 bags for a 125g depending on depth desired.

Whatever sand you use, rinse thoroughly before adding to tank. PFS rinses the cleanest of any sand/gravel I've used.

I'd tie the java fern to rocks, they are a bit fussy to plant (and stay planted) anyway, plus it makes 'em easy to move.

Last edited:

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I'd tie the java fern to rocks, they are a bit fussy to plant (and stay planted) anyway, plus it makes 'em easy to move.
You definitely want to anchor java fern rather than "plant" it. The rhizome can rot if it is buried. Java fern take their nutrients from the water rather than from their roots.

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
I did not know that... I need to correct that in my 55 gallon too... Just use standard low strength fishing line, I assume?

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Pool filter sand works great (I have in my tank), but others report success with basic play sand.
Always wash/rinse any sand really well (bucket/hose method) to remove 'fines' and prevent a cloudy mess in your tank.
As mentioned, you will need 2-4 bags for a 125 (I have 2 in my 60g). Recommend you shoot for a 3" deep (or slightly more) sand bed depth.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I did not know that... I need to correct that in my 55 gallon too... Just use standard low strength fishing line, I assume?
Fishing line should work. Typically it stays on the bottom in my tanks. A lot of times I wedge it in or under rocks or driftwood to get a particular placement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store