pre filter sponge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Okay I have a 5g eclipse with the filter that comes with it. I am keeping RCS in it. I bought a fluval pre filter sponge from Petsmart before I added shrimp. It worked fine for like a week. But now there is barely ANY water flow coming through the filter. Sometimes you can't even tell it's running. I took the filter media/cartridge out too see if it was that, and it's not. Still barely a trickle. So I've heard of using panty hose with a zip tie, but will that work with shrimp? Any other suggestions? Once I get a pre-filter figured for this tank, I plan on moving the fluval sponge onto my penguin 100, which I think is strong enough to still pull through the sponge.

Thanks!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Fluval pre-filters work like a charm. The only drawback is, if you want to call it that, that you have to rinse them very well frequently, to do the job they're intended to do. Remove them and rinse them vigorously, every 3rd day or so, and they'll serve you well. Just takes 2 minutes.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Thanks!

I did end up washing it out and it works just like it did before.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
As you've probably noticed, they pick up a LOT of crud (and really help clarify the water), therefore they get clogged up very quickly, because they're very fine mesh - and that's why you need to squeeze the heck out of them frequently, under running water.
Keep doing that, and they'll last for months, until they get soft, start to lose their shape, and need to be replaced.
I've seen a lot of posts where people are totally disenchanted with Fluval pre-filters, but unfortunately, it's only because people don't know how to use them properly. This is not directed at you, Jayla, just stating the facts for the benefit of others who may not know how to treat them. Many think they're like a media sponge in a filter, that only has to be rinsed every few weeks or so.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
P.S.
For those of you who care to know, Fluval pre-filters are excellent, not only for keeping fish and shrimp babies out of the filter compartments, but also for aiding in producing crystal clear water all the time, when used in conjunction with filter floss (replaced with new floss about every 2 weeks), and Seachem Purigen (re-charged every 3 weeks or so).
I use the Fluval pre-filters on the intake tubes of both the AquaClear 110's in my planted discus tank, and need to clean them vigorously no less than every 3rd day. Even then, you should see the very dirty black/brown water that comes out of them when squeezing them clean.

Here's the tank for those who care to have a peek:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/lolliblues2

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Oh, good, thanks very much for letting me know. I like the Aquaclears too much to give them up.
So do I ! They're the best - wouldn't be without them !
You know, sometimes it seems that I'm giving up too many of my little secrets - LOL -
and now everybody knows them.
But I guess this is what these forums are all about - passing on a bit of one's knowledge and experience - isn't it ? But it does come with over 50 years' of fish-keeping, I suppose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store