Breeding Black Moscows

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
For the last few days I've had the urge to breed black moscow guppies and now want to get started. I have a 5 gallon bowfront with a 10 gallon aqueon heater. I was also planning on buying a nano heater. I was just wondering if I needed anything else supplies wise. Also, what's the best number of males to femalesand what Ph sounds best? Thanks!

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
I think 5 gallon is too small for guppy breeding tank. The guppys will most likely eat all their frys. To breed guppies. It is best to have lots of floater plants so the frys can hide. Planted tanks tends to lower the ph to fit guppies but guppies can live in any ph. Guppies do better in lower ph. I would go with 2 male and 4 females to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Huh, I thought 5 would be perfect. I do have another small aquarium what if I set it up and placed the fry in there. Thanks for the help though!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
That's usually what I do!! They still in the main tank until they give birth, then I scoop out the fry and move them to the side tank.

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah, so at this point I'm just kind of wondering if a trio of guppies can be kept in a 5 gallon aquarium?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
A trio is about all you'll have space for in a 5 gallon. You will want at least 2 females per male since some males can be so amorous that they can actually stress a female to death with constant breeding attempts if they arent given more options. You will also need a tank for the fry to grow in, at least 5-10 gallons since fry drops can be as many as 50 or more for a mature female. Fry should get water changes at least twice weekly and fed multiple times per day. I put mom in either a breeder net or birthing tank so that the dads dont eat the fry or try to breed with her while she's giving birth. If you are serious about breeding quality guppies to sell, you should have 3 fry tanks. One for very young and unsexable fry, and one for each gender as they become sexable. Then, as the fry age, you should "cull" ones with inferior attributes. Culling can either be euthanizing, which I dont like to do, or giving them away or selling them to pet stores. Dont sell your culls to customers expecting high quality fish or you will not have a good reputation and people wont want to buy your guppies. Since your adult tank is so small, you should make sure you have a market of homes for the fry as they age, otherwise you will be very quickly overrun. Females can give birth every 28 days and it takes a good 3 months for guppies to reach a sellable size. Consider then, you needing to house 150 or more guppy fry at a time. You may not get drops this large, but it is better to be prepared than completely overstocked.

Breeding guppies is easy. Being a quality guppy breeder isnt. It IS fun though, so good luck!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Anybody can breed Guppies. The trick is raising them quickly to a marketable size. For that you'll need more tanks.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I've always thought of breeding as when you selectively choose certain fry for their traits... But if you just let the fish mate it is called fish being fish... I guess since you might cull some fry this is breeding.

Hornwort is a good plant to let fry swim around. I have used it with guppies several times.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
After reading an article in TFH I'm getting an urge to breed these moscows. I'm thinking that if I use a 5 gallon for the trio (with daily water changes) and give the fry a 10 gallon so they'll grow quicker I may be set. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store