RO/DI Flush Kit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
I'm thinking of rigging up a DIY flush kit for an Aqua FX Barracuda. Anyone know what they do? Basicly what am I trying to do to the membrane? Any advice is appreciated, thanks - N

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
The flush kit allows you to back flush the membrane and remove some of the built up minerals on that side of the membrane. It should extend the life of the RO membrane. Given the membrane replacement cost, the back flush kit can be well worth the cost.

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Yea I think it's only $14 bux + shipping but I'm wondering if I can't get a DIY going. It shouldn't be hard and what I'm thinking is, it might be able to be done with the parts I already have, making my bill 0, which is always good. Do you know how they work, not the final outcome but the actual way it works? If its just a back flush then I could switch the in and out lines reversing the flow, but that's just going to put the solids on the other side of the membrane. I can't seem to find anyone who's actually used one. - N

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I mistakenly said back flush, like in a filter system.
In an RO system, flush is the concept.
Your waste line has some sort of flow restricter in place, to keep the pressure up on the at the face of the RO membrane. A flush kit or system, by passes that restriction and allows water to leave the membrane housing at the same flow rate it's coming in. That washes out some of the minerals, and loose carbon from filter changes. For normal operation, the flush valve is closed. Parts are two Y fittings, a valve, and some spare tubing.

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Ahh I see what you're saying, so it's just kind of a pressure washing? I can picture what you're saying - N

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store