I need help, I think my green terror is pregnant, or dying??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chrisforbush

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2012
We have a Green Terror that we've had for about 5 years. Never really found out if it's male or female. About 2 weeks ago "Dots" as we named it has changed in several ways. Looks miserable as she/he floats around the tank and bumps into things. No longer spunky and funny with us and the stomach looks very well packed. I read a post suggested here from google saying the fish may just be constipated and we could use epsom salt. I also have noticed it hangs out at the top a lot, looking like it needs air but we have dual bubble bars going full speed.

I'm wondering if we need to be doing anything else to help save our fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chrisforbush

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2012
I wonder as well if we could use regular salt in substitution of epsom salt. I won't do it unless I know it's safe so we don't make matters worse.

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
Either use epsom salt ir aquarium salt. Regular salt will kill ur fish. Sounds like ur fish has bloat. Search on bloat and ways to treat it. There are lots of helpful sites online.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chrisforbush

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you japbart. I appreciate your input. I've gotten info from 3 sources now and two of them have told me to quarantine the fish. I am going to try this procedure and see if it helps. Thank you again.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Either use epsom salt ir aquarium salt. Regular salt will kill ur fish. Sounds like ur fish has bloat. Search on bloat and ways to treat it. There are lots of helpful sites online.

Bloat was my thought as well.

From what I understand, regular "table" salt is not dangerous. While it does have trace amounts of anti-caking chemicals in it that are dangerous in large amounts, which is why everyone says not to use it; from what I've seen experts say, the levels are so low that they don't actually pose any threat. I've never had to treat an illness with either kind of salt though (knock on wood), so don't take my word for it. But it might be worth doing some Googling and coming to your own conclusion. If in doubt, you cna certainly play it safe with Epsom or aquarium salt.

If it does turn out to be constipation, shelled peas can help them unclog their system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store