The Convicts(?) or Maybe Honduran Red Points?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
These guys were sold as convicts, but I think at least the alpha male in the trio is Honduran Red Point, and maybe the beta male. The female looks pretty convicty to me, though. These guys are b/t 1.5"-2.5" or so.

DSC_0010.jpg
Here's the alpha male. He's largest and he has some (if I must say so myself) gorgeously long fin extensions.
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0084.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0077.jpg
And here is a picture of the two males, alpha on bottom.
DSC_0078.jpg
And the girly-girl.
DSC_0025.jpg

Any input? I could be completely wrong, I'm really not too sure. I think I have the genders right?

DSC_0010.jpg DSC_0025.jpg DSC_0028.jpg DSC_0045.jpg DSC_0077.jpg DSC_0078.jpg DSC_0084.jpg

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Not sue about the males, but the females in the bottom 2 pics are convicts. They lack the wide banding and spots the others have. If the others are convicts, I would guess possibly a result of cross breeding somewhere in the line.

With as many convicts I have bred and raised, none had the spots and that much blue. The blue thay had was more limited to the outer edges of the fins.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
If they were sold to ya as convicts, they are most likely aquarium-strain convicts with HRP blood in their ancestry. 25 years ago there was little or no distinction between the different Amatitlania species; in fact most if not all were generally considered regional strains of the convict, and any newly imported stock was bred to other convicts indiscriminately. I don't recall exactly when the different strains were seriously examined and taxonomists started separating them into different species, but it seems it was the late 1990's or 2000's. I have little doubt that my own convicts have HRP blood in 'em. They look a lot like yers.

Unless I acquired 'em from an importer with a good reputation (who'd probly know exactly what species they were and what location they were collected from anyways), I would not assume any fish sold to me as a convict was anything other than an aquarium strain with a probable mixed ancestry.

WYite

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Thanks you two!

I got these at Petsmart, so that's probably what they are, hybrids. I doubt it is a case of misidentification because I'm not aware of Petsmart ever carrying Honduran Red Points.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Thanks you two!

I got these at Petsmart, so that's probably what they are, hybrids. I doubt it is a case of misidentification because I'm not aware of Petsmart ever carrying Honduran Red Points.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
For reference..
Here is a Honduran Red Point
16-xii-09-archocentrus-honduran-red-point-i-m.jpg
Here is my alpha male
DSC_0084.jpg
Here is a convict
Archocentrus_nigrofasciatus_female.jpg

I now definitely agree with the idea of it being a convict/red point hybrid. The beta male develops fulls stripes sometimes, but the alpha never does. The alpha also looks a lot bluer than in the picture, although not quite as blue as the red point. I used a flash and it didn't capture a good representation of the color.

16-xii-09-archocentrus-honduran-red-point-i-m.jpg DSC_0084.jpg Archocentrus_nigrofasciatus_female.jpg

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
The females are cons 100%. The male might have a little hrp in him. Here's a vid of my hrp pair for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzsHXclKrU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks!
Yours have very similar stripes to mine, but mine look a little darker/bluer all around. That may just be from the lighting or the video camera or whatever. Your Red points actually have some red, in the fins. They are really pretty!:)

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
That's their breeding dress. Hrps show full stripes when in Breeding mode. When their fry got eaten their stripes disappeared. Also, the substrate doesn't show how blue they are. I used to have black sand in this tank and let me tell you the blue on these two were outrageous. Substrate , lighting and tank mates affect how these fish color up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store