Cockatoo cichlids dying off one by one

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
About 2 months ago I got 4 cockatoo cichlids. The first male died from a spinal deformity, the first female stopped eating, and moving altogether, and then passed away, and now, my second female is on her way out too!! Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7, and the nitrate is always under 5! No one picked on her or anything, she just got really bloated, then deflated, and took to sitting on a magnetic algae cleaner all day. When I would feed the other fish, she just sits there and watches them listlessly. So, this morning I took her out of the tank and quarantined her. I have this really old medicine that treats literally EVERYTHING, so I put some of that in there, and she got up and started swimming around for a little bit before sinking back to the bottom. Is there anything I can do??!!! Has anyone else ever experienced this before? People say they're so easy to keep, so I'm really confused!! Could it have been I just got bad fish from the begging? BTW, the male is still fine, but since it seems to go one after the other, I don't know how long it will last. Please help!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Is this like a regular thing with this fish? What I'm asking is, would I have better luck if I got fish from another seller? BTW, the seller said that he had had the same prob., so... could it just be generic?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store