Australian Rainbow Fish Q

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
From what I can tell the males have longer fins and red tails while the females have shorter fins with yellow tails. Is that accurate? I've seen where the size is between 4" and 8".. which is more accurate? It would appear that I have 2 males and 4 females (based on my first Q). Today one of the males was dark with very bright colors and he seemed to hurdle the other rainbow fish in a group. I'm assuming this was just him showing his dominance or was something else going on.

Finally.. these guys never seem to stop eating. Come from Predatory fish they would eat till they are full, I'm assuming these guys aren't bright enough to know when they are full and will eat whenever food is available.. is that correct?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i had a small group of aussie rainbows a while back, and yes, the males are more coloured up than the females. don't know about the males having longer fins though, as mine were about all the same length. i recall my group had two males as well, and one was more dominant than the other, with a much more vibrant red through the fin. the females definitely were more yellow.

mine were not full grown when i sold them, but i don't see an aussie rainbow getting 8 inches long. perhaps your info source there has them confused with other rainbow speices that get larger.

as for feeding like gluttons, did you get them from a store where possibly they didn't feed their tanks appropriately? if you haven't had your rainbows too long, they may still be adjusting to being fed properly. or they could just be gluttons. mine would feed well, but wouldn't eat continuously. if i fed the tank a bit too much, they'd eat for a bit then ignore the rest of the food.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
~5" is the norm for most adult males.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I've had them about a week and they still constantly look for food. I'll try upping the amount and frequency to see if there is any change.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
what size are yours? they could be still juvenile enough to need a little more frequent feeding, instead of more food at one time.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Likely M. splendida splendida.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Likely M. splendida splendida.
I believe they are these.. the Petsmart $2 special ;) I'll post a pic later to be sure.

They are still small.. 2-3" I would guess.. most being closer to 2" and one male being closer to 3". I have been feeding them 2-3 times a day. Krill, pellets, flakes and shrimp pellets. The problem with feeding less more frequently is they will carry off the clown loaches food. I need to find a happy medium to where they leave the loaches food alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store