can i put 2 55 gallons on a 180 gallon stand temporarily?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
would this be ok? ill post a pick of the stand in a min. i was thinking one in the back right corner and one in the front left corner going accross. if you can picture what i mean.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Is the stand flat across the top, as in a sheet of wood covering it? Or is it just the frame and open in the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
its a very junky stand but it will work for a couple of weeks. one 55 will be on there for around a week maybe 2 and the other up to a month.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
I would'nt do that. Unless that stand is 8'

loucas6290

Lurking Since 2005
Jan 2, 2005
from an engineering point of view, that stand is designed to bear the load of a 180 gallon tank on the perimeter where all the supports are. if you decide to put a tank that doesnt exactly match that footprint, there will be stress risers where there is no supports. even though there is a piece of wood covering the entire stand, i doubt that it will be able to distribute the weight of the tank away from the middle and out to the corners without failure. if you think that wood can support the weight of the tank, than by all means try it, but i think that the wood rather than the stand is going to be taking the brunt of the load, which is far from optimal.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I agree with loucas. I had a stand just like that for my 150. I even added more support before i put MY 150 on it. It is designed to support the weight on the perimeter.
Now, the stand I had was for a 220 and my tank was a 150. So I had a rim around the sides and in the front of about 6 inches. So, I measured these, marked them out and placed more supports (2x4 braces) underneath where the 150 would be resting. It cost like maybe 10 bucks to do. Stand was solid as rock! So, point of the story...it could work if you plan it out well and add just a few more pieces of wood.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so one 55 wouldnt work in the middle? i was kind of relying on it to be able to while my grandpa fixed my current stand.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I wouldn't....even a 55 full weighs a lot. You have no support around the perimeter of the tank if you just place it in the middle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store