When should you replace your aquarium lights?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Mine have been in use for about 6 months now, so should I replace them? I feel like I read you should somewhere, I just can't remember where. Anyway, you guys will know what to do, so I'll leave it up to you!! Thanks!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if this is a planted tank then you do want to replace the lights regularly, to ensure the lighting spectrum stays fairly constant for the plants. once you have an imbalance between the lighting and the nutrients in the water (from fish poop, fertilizer, nitrates, etc) then algae can take hold.

if your tank is just fake decor/plastic plants, i say wait until a light burns out to replace it. that's what i do in my 55, that has just gravel and a hunk of driftwood.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
For planted tanks,
T8 should be replaced at 6 - 12 months.
T5 should be replaced at about 12 months.
Power Compact - for best results, should be replaced at 6 - 12 months.
LED - We have no idea, yet.

For heavily planted tanks using a fertilizer regime and pressurized CO2, aim for the low end, for the best plant growth. The quality of light matters more in high tech tanks.

For fish tanks with a couple of plants, don't worry about the lamp. Replace it when it's too dim, or blown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store