Why do the manufactuers color fish food?!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Why does it seem that every fish food is artificially colored?!! Seriously, why do they have to add this one ingredient, that has no nutritional value, and is completely made up of chemicals?!! It certainly doesn't make the fish any healthier, and it doesn't seem like they would mind if their food was colored anyway, so why do they waste money one something so worthless? If there is a good reason behind this, please tell me, because I have been wondering for YEARS!! I just don't see the need, do you? If there is a fish food out there, that you know of, that doesn't contain such a meaningless ingredient, please, do share it! Thanks for your help with this dilemma!!

BucketFishWife

AC Members
May 29, 2012
I would guess it is like with dog food. We visually see more color and think we are giving them a more pleasing meal due to the variation. We as humans tend to "eat with our eyes" the more color and interest on our plate the more we like the meal...

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
The fish being appealed to with color is generally the keeper. Colorful tropical fish should need color after all. ;-)
Colors of flakes provides an illusion of variety that may or may not exist.
Some people like to feed food coloring dyed foods believing it enhances the colors in the fish. Some specific additives can help. Those are usually sold as color enhancing foods though.

A lot of the newer milled pellets, chunks, wafers, and granules don't have color added.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hehe! I'm totally with bucket fish! We do eat with our eyes! And yah, I agree with dbosman too, they are probably just trying to appeal to the keeper. Huh, if only the world was more honest!

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
I order my fish food from here, and at the bottom of the page they have a selection called [h=3]Natural Flake Line[/h]No coloring added to these flakes and the preservatives are all natural.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FoodFlake.htm

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I use argent cyclop-eeze and the coloration is naturally cause by the main ingredient. Micro- crustaceans.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Guess all those artificial lures that are colored are useless to...

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Yah, the lures help, but only because they resemble a fish, a bright fish, which attracts bigger fish. But, since I'm not planning to use this food as bait, that's irrelevant. :) Oh,and thank you very much for the link Jayla!! I'll go check out the fish food ;)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not really true....though it is argued both ways...most fish have rods and cones, especially goldfish....depending on light conditions, it may be more important than we know...just not enough testing to make it a yes or no answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store