Ram Cichlids. How many in one 54g tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
I'm new to keeping rams and have had a pair of very peaceful gold males in my 54 gallon for two months. Their only tank mates are three giant danios and three cherry barbs. I'd love to get a variety of rams, but I've heard they can become aggressive if kept in groups. Any advice?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If your males are doing fine now, I'd hesitate to add any more...most definitely no more males as there just isn't enough space for a territory IMO. If you can find a "100% female" you risk a pair forming and upsetting the current balance.

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
I kept three Bolivian Ram breeding pairs in a 46 bowfront without a problem. And all the young fish would grow out in a 55 together, hundreds of them. Their spawns were 50-60 eggs per batch, and very few failed to hatch. I had another 55 for sub-adults/adult fish. At any given time there would be two or three dozen in there. I would pull pairs from that tank. I guess when you breed them things are a little different.

I would not hesitate to put a few more Rams in your 56.

Fishbreeder101

AC Members
Apr 11, 2012
Ny
Real Name
Ali
I agree with RJb3 it would be beter to add mor rams to your tank. A mixture of males and females woud be perfect when they spawn you can iether keep or sell the fry when they reach desant size

djlamonica

AC Members
Sep 16, 2012
I keep 6 in a 10g and they breed fish are healthy and show awsome color a lot of people will tell you you can't do things but with fish some times you have to try things your self. To reason of course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store