Anchoring driftwood...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
What is the best way to anchor a piece of driftwood in the tank? It is from Lake Superior and has been soaked in clean water (in a kiddy pool!) for several days and powerwashed and is ready to go in the tank. My tank is 240g and the piece is about 4feet long and 2 feet high (cut from the gnarled roots of a washed up tree trunk!) We were thinking of using paving stones as anchors and covering them with substrate, but how to actually attach them to the wood? Better ideas? Please let me know! Anything else I should do to this wood before it goes in? I can't boil it as I do not have a pot big enough :confused:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You can drill a hole in the paving stone and screw it (stainless steel) to the wood, or use silicone.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
You can drill a hole in the paving stone and screw it (stainless steel) to the wood, or use silicone.
agreed.
the screws will last a long long time as the silicone won't.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
I've had much better luck with silicone in layers attached to slate I find it tends to rot right at the screw threads .
Does the piece float ?? If so that will be a LOT of pull lol. I have a piece of "rosewood " that has been continuously sbmerged since 1992 . I was so shocked when released as it popped right to the surface lol Good luck gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store