Care of German Blue Rams?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'd really like to get these guys, since I finally found the one's I'm looking for, but first I gotta make sure the tank is perfect. So, first question is, would a ph of 7 be ok, or would I really need to lower it? What other tank Params. should I worry about? Is the temperature ok at 75 degrees, or higher? Any more info. would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
pH of 7 is just fine...I kept mine around 8, so I would definitely not worry about lowering it.

They do seem to appreciate higher temps though. Most recommend 82ish, although mine seemed fine even if temps dipped closer to 80F.

When it comes to blue rams, I highly suggest doing some digging before purchasing. Stock from run-of-the-mill LFS is not always the best, and of course, big box stores have an even worse reputation. Finding a local breeder would be the absolute best option IMO. Quality stock will get you a long way when it comes to keeping blues successfully. My guess is that most problems with these fish stem from getting horrendous stock, which is why they have such a name for being picky fish. In reality, they really aren't different from other fish...clean water is always better!

Another thing to consider is what type of group you are going to keep them in...the ram experts claim they are harem breeders (multiple females per male) although it seems very few hobbyists keep them that way. Most opt for pairs, but that wont always work out. I purchased my "pair" as such, but since they were juveniles they weren't a proven pair yet. The male decided it was time to breed before the female was ready and subsequently harassed her to death. So keep in mind that the pair method isn't always the best way to stock rams. Others will then say to buy a group of 5-6 juvies, let them pair up, and rehome the rest. Ultimately it may depend on how much space you have.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
BTW, the guy I'm buying them for a dealer who kept them at 7.5 ph, 78 degrees, and fed them flake. Is it then ok for me to keep t

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Sounds good...I'm sure some would say raise the temp up a bit, but it's not a matter of life or death. Glad to hear you already found a dealer!

Flakes are a good staple but I'd make sure you feed more of a variety as well. Mine absolutely loved bloodworms.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Ok!! Thanks for all that brilliant info.!! So, if I get a male and female longfin, and then one balloon, do you think they would be good? Or should I just try my luck with the longfins? Thanks!!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Here's my experience . could only find two bought them one lived a week went off the food and hid , Bought 5 more
In Feb follwed the same as the first. They would go off the food and die Am now left with the one original who seems to be doing fine fed them mosquito larvae several frozen types as well as flake . Noted they would take up the flake and then spit it out . Housed in 75 supplied with rainwater and a mixed school of Glolites/ black neons . planted . ph hovered at 7 auto water changes . Had no other fatalities within the period which have been in the tank for over two years . Considering trying again , love the colors at a loss as to what to change ?? Good luck gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store