Resealing Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Your going to get a ton of different awnsers. I used GE silicone 2 to redo my 110

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Definitely needs to be 100% silicone...but also make sure it is safe being submerged. Even some of the "waterproof" or "watertight" versions aren't actually supposed to be underwater, supposedly.

GE II will definitely work or anything labeled as safe for sealing aquariums (AGA's silicone, DAP's aquarium sealant, etc.)

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If aquarium sealant isn't available at your local fish shop, most of the online retail pet suppliers stock it.
Amazon.com shows 795 results under aquarium silicone.

Please do not try to scrimp by using anything that fails to say aquarium safe or fish safe on the label.
Is a few dollars savings worth the stress if you lose a tank of fish a few months from now?
...Stress due to not knowing if the cheaper material leached an anti fungal or anti mold agent into your tank.

If others want to take that risk with their tanks, let them take that risk.

GMYukonon24s

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
MICHIGAN
I knew I would get multiple answers. I'm resealing my 110 all I'm doing is a few inches from the top because when the last time it got seal I don't think the seal went all the way. Ya I agree it's better to spend the money now then later. The last time I sealed the tank was because I did have a crack in the seal and luckily it happened just after I turned off my lights and I heard the noise of the water rushing out.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
You know you have to reseal the entire tank right? You cant just do a portion of it as the new silicone will not stick to the old

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store