125 gallon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
I'm getting an 125 gallon aquarium this week and have no idea of what to stock it with, I tried this on MFK and I didn't get many answers. My question is if you had an 125 gallon aquarium to stock, which would you choose? I'm thinking 1xEBJD and 2xBN plecos (not foot longs either:laugh:) Seriously though, what's your ideas?

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
I fet goose bumbs thinking about 15 different kinds of tetras and 20 different cories!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
If I had a 125, I would heavily plant it and stock it with a couple ctenopoma acutirostre and congo tetras.

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
My vote goes for heavily planted, with a higher number of smaller (but not necessarily small) fish. Part of this depends on your budget, of course.

I think a 125 would look incredible with an array of various Australian Rainbows. There are so many colors to choose from, so you really get to pick what you like best with those guys. They're also very active and normally not terribly timid, so you'll really get a lot of bang for the buck out of them. With a tank that size, I'd also do some research into some of the fancier pleco species and pick one (maybe two) of the really nice interesting striped or spotted species. I'd fill in the rest of the tank with at least one or two species of killifish (taking care not to mix species that might interbreed). For instance, a nice fundulopanchax species for the mid to lower region, and then an epiplatys for the top region. These guys tend to breed like crazy, but the rainbows would help cull the numbers. Finally, the real clean-up crew. I'd pick a nice schooling species of smallish loach or if you're more inclined towards cories, a school of those. Oh, and the icing on the cake -- a plethora of interesting invertebrates. Rabbit snails, maybe mystery snails, some nerites (they really help with algae), and shrimp like cherry shrimp and bamboo shrimp.

Hopefully that stocking level would leave me room to fill in with new acquisitions now and then, so I could pick up something new that happens to catch my attention or I could try something new to replace the fish that pass away over time.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Salvini cichlids are 100% gorgeous and max out at 6". from what i read, they can hang with JDs just fine. Mine did great for 6 months until they passed while under my mother's care :tombstone: They're near the top of my future stocking options

the "small fish, big schools" stocking ideas always impress also, especially when heavily planted

dtn23

AC Members
Aug 1, 2012
I would go with a lushly planted tank with about a dozen discus and a large school of cardinals...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Salvini cichlids are 100% gorgeous and max out at 6". from what i read, they can hang with JDs just fine. Mine did great for 6 months until they passed while under my mother's care :tombstone: They're near the top of my future stocking options

the "small fish, big schools" stocking ideas always impress also, especially when heavily planted
They're one of my all time favorites. I had a pair of Salvinis a few years back and think a pair would look awesome in a 125g that's marginally planted with some large stones and driftwood. Anyone that's ever had a breeding pair of these would probably agree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store