HOB media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
So I keep reading that carbon in filters is less than desirable unless trying to remove something (meds, salt, etc.) from the water. All of the filter cartridges I see have carbon already in them. What do you use for HOB media?

*I have an Aqeon 30 and 55/75 and another old HOB that I bought used with my tank and don't know the brand.

Jojocircus

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2012
From my understanding its because it ads phosphate & promotes algae growth. Its also discourged because its often used instead of regular water changes. That being said I allways use it in one of my filters & change very regulary + weekly water changes. Its the only chemical filtration I ever use In my other filters I use bonded filter material alone as my water quality is allways perfect. I culture spot algae as my backround scraping it periodicaly as fish food.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jojocircus

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2012
Its that blue meshy stuff glued to or wraped around the plastic replaceable filter. No question is dumb unless asked many times ( fellow blondie:)

Sent from my SGH-T499 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
My understanding is that good carbon media wont leach any noticeable amount of phosphorus.

That being said, it has a limited amount of time when it is actually useful...unlike other media, it needs to be replaced on a regular basis. That's what makes those cartridges such a money-maker for manufacturers. People think you need them because they come with most filters, but I just don't find it necessary unless I would need to remove something from the water like meds (I would rather have tannins, personally). I'd rather maximize the amount of sponges or filter floss.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Yes just cut the sheets to fit. The blocks are for......anything you want in filtration.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I love high quality carbon..for it's primary function and as a biomedia...

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
So I guess my question is, am I hurting anything? I have read some things that say it can remove nutrients from the water. Since I am only dosing liquid ferts, is it just removing them when I add them? Or is this anoyher one of those things that I will get a different answer depending on who I ask?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store