No air flow in Check-valve for air pump?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
So I haven't used my whisper air pump in over 2 years. I plugged it in and it worked fine. However, with the check-valve attached no air would go through it. I even reversed it just in case I had it backwards. It use to work fine. I don't know how a check-valve could break. It's pretty basic. Any ideas?

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Did you check to see if the valve was closed?

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dhmongboy

AC Members
Mar 10, 2012
The valve could have just gotten old or wet and not be working anymore, you're suppose to change those like once every other month or so.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The rubber sometimes sticks and keeps the valve from opening. If the rubber diaphragm inside the check valve can be accessed you can squeeze it to open the opening. Otherwise replace the check valve.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
The valve could have just gotten old or wet and not be working anymore, you're suppose to change those like once every other month or so.
What? In my over 30 yrs of fish keeping you are the first person I have ever heard recommend replacing the check valve "every month or so".

They work until they dont.

hag-1032_1z.jpg

hag-1032_1z.jpg

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I keep one on hand since they are prone to become clogged at some point. Once a month replacement is needless. Keeping one or 2 on hand is usually sufficient.

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I bought a new one and now it works fine. I assume the rubber in the old one starting sticking. Which surprises me because they don't have any moving parts. At least replacements are cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store