Starting a Chiclid tank, advice anyone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GrandmaBeans

Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
Real Name
Rhonda Blair
I have kept an freshwater community tank for over 30 yrs but I am about to take the next step and go with African Cichlids. I have a 55 gallon tank cycling now. A friend of mine has dime size Kribensis, zebra Angels, Albino bristle nose plecos, and electric yellow Africans. She keeps her PH around 7 and feeds them brine shrimp. Other than that I do not know what to do. I am planning on getting 3 bristle nose,4 angels, 4 Kribs, 4 elec yellows. Does this sound ok? Any advice on plants, substrate, water conditions, temp, etc.?

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
I don't know for sure and you should research this but....I think african cichlids such as the labidochromis have a different diet than the central and south american cichlids. Also different habitat, ph, etc.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
In my personal experience angels and cichlids don't mix all that well. They're both cichlids and in the family cichlidae, however, angels are slower moving and generally not to be kept with other cichlids. A pair of kribs could do well in a 55 with a group of yellow labs and bn pleco or two, but make sure to have plenty of caves and hidey holes.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
In my personal experience angels and cichlids don't mix all that well. They're both cichlids and in the family cichlidae, however, angels are slower moving and generally not to be kept with other cichlids. A pair of kribs could do well in a 55 with a group of yellow labs and bn pleco or two, but make sure to have plenty of caves and hidey holes.
I agree in that mbuna can't be trusted. Even labs get fiesty. I hate to say it, because I do like to mix, but I would keep SA and CA seperate from AC especially mbuna.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Kribs are African, but not from the Rift Lakes...and even then it's generally not best to mix between lakes either.

If you want Labs, you probably should stick to other Mbuna. Even as one of the more peaceful species it still isn't ideal to mix with non Africans. If you want angels, stick to community fish, and the same pretty much goes for kribs.

I wouldn't risk doing the mix your friend has...to me, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But maybe that's just me...

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I think a krib/angel mix could work in a community tank. Just don't pick fish that are fin nippers to fill out the stocking. You probably could pick one more calm species for a 55 gallon tank.

If you want to go with more of a "traditional" cichlid tank feel, I would start with the yellow labs. They are very versatile and can be mixed with a lot of other african cichlids. In a 55 I would start off with a good sized group of yellow labs and another relatively peaceful mbuna. Acei or rusties are some good options. Also a Cynotilapia species could work. Down the road you can try a more aggressive mbuna species or some peacocks if you stick with peaceful mbunas who aren't strongly vegetarian.

You could probably mix kribs and yellow labs, but likely one fish would be at the end of its comfort zone in terms of water conditions.

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
Or you can do what I did and plunge headfirst into Lake Tanganyika for your first cichlids. :p

I vote for mbuna, because they tend to be a lot more forgiving. Just have really good filtration.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Allow me to put in a word for a tank of Lake Tanganyika colony builders with a few cuckoo cats (synodontis multipunctatus) for population control. My favorite colony builder is the neolamprologus marunguensis. They're beautiful fish that have some very interesting behaviors. In my opinion, this tank would also be a good starter for someone who's new to African cichlids.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/neolamprologus-marunguensis/

P.S. The photos in the link do not do this species justice. The eyes and fins are the bluest of blues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store