UV Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
UV light will kill green algae and disrupt reproductive system of free floating parasites.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Sorry, I should have clarified...countryboy is correct about what the correct amount of UV can do, but I would assume the reason UV filters exist is because you can externally expose the water to high intensity UV light rather than placing one on the tank and risk exposing the fish (or yourself).

I doubt getting, for example, a UVA/UVB light bulb like you see for reptiles is going to be very effective if placed over a tank.

Is the water green cloudy, like from an algae bloom? Or white cloudy like a bacteria bloom?

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Its more of just a dull hazy tinge to it. Tank has been running over a year now and just never got that crystal clear look like my other tanks. Its a 125gal with african cichlids. Running an eheim 2217 and aquaClear 110. My other 125gal tank with two big oscars has the same set up and their water has always been crystal with not one issue.

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Yes i put fresh carbon in atleast once a month. I don't stress over it. The water is fine and fish are healthy. Just thought maybe I would try a uv and see what it does.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
I think you need more filtration. That Eheim is a little small. Maybe put some polishing media in it.

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
I just picked up a used Rena xp4 yesterday. I was thinking of swapping it out with the eheim.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Try running both. One mechanical, one bio-mechanical and the AC doing it's thing for good surface agitation. If that does the trick you could dial back. Maybe get rid of the hob. Play with it using different combos of filter media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store