Discus mating aggression

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dita

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
This is a weird question for a discus forum, but how can I prevent pairing from happening? I don't want to raise fry, I just started keeping discus in the last year so I'm still working on the basics. What is everyone else doing to keep their discus friendly. I'm space limited and only have a 55 gallon to work with. I have 5 discus (approx. 9 months old) which have grown up together and are at the 5inch mark (except one that has not passed the 3.5 mark). I have eggs every couple weeks and it's awful. Everyone is hiding. I want my peaceful tank back. Can anyone suggest something that does not require a second breeding tank or getting rid of my other 3 fish. I want to have a bigger tank and keep more in the future, so these guys are important to me.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Well Dita, you now have a mated pair and they will keep spawning, and there's little or nothing you can do about it.
Except, sell the proven mated pair - they are in demand, and you can get a good price for them, and then you can get a couple more discus, and carry on where you left off.
Quite frankly, that's about the only viable solution.

Dita

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
That's upsetting. I thought they could be buddies forever.

On a happier note,the eggs are now wrigglers. Although this has not improved the parents mood. This is the first time the eggs have made it this far so it is kind of cool to see. I think they ate a few by accident ...or maybe it was on purpose. I guess I will see the damage tomorrow. Thanks for the reply discuspaul, even if it isn't what I wanted to hear. And you can take some credit for my fish doing as well as they are since I used your guide to get started.

Cheers, Dita

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Dita - Sorry to hear things are not working out for you the way you had hoped or expected.
Many new discus-keepers would be elated to have a spawning pair with wrigglers, and be pleased to give raising the fry a real good effort, for potential resale or further breeding purposes.
But I do understand where you're coming from - I don't care to breed discus either, nor to be troubled with growing out the fry.
As I mentioned before, it should be no problem to sell a proven mated pair, if you ask a reasonable price, and then you can get on with your plan to keep an amiable group in a display tank environment, by getting a couple more. That's what I would do - in fact I've done that a couple of times. It's no sweat, really.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store