Vortex Diatom Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GMYukonon24s

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
MICHIGAN
I was wondering if anyone has one of these?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/vortex-d-1-diatom-filter

I received when with my free 55g tank I got from a co-worker. Instead of the plastic clear piece it was replaced with a mason jar. I tried to test it out and filled up a bucket and plugged it in the motor turned on but nothing happened. I then filled up the mason jar with water to thinking that would help but still no water movement.

My dad helped me and he said that when he put the filter upside down the water got sucked out but nothing came in.

I plan on looking it over again and seeing if something needs to be cleaned out of something.

Any suggestions for what I should do?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Send it to me..love them.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
After reading about them I want one.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
They are awesome..have 3...hard to beat them to clear water of physical debri for pics...a bit messy to use initially until you climb the learning curve.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Yeah I was just reading about stopping and restart. ppl are getting backwash of de in their tank. Is this something that can be avoided?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
only if run continuosly...but I only use them for a polish as needed....back in the 60s/70s..many folks sed them 24/7, but they are are so fine in their filtration, they clog with over feeding and turned into maintenance headaches...but for pure clarity, they can't be beat....will never be without them...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I had one back in the late 80's. Great polishing filter! Came in handy for quickly clearing the debris/detritus stirred up in the water column after tank maintenance. Crystal clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store