Hypancistrus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Will be going today to look at L260 and L262 - both Hypancistrus sp. that only reach about 3.5 inches or so. Given a cave, do you think 1 of these will do ok with the stocking in either my 40B (sand bed) or 17G? Probably 40B as I could fit more driftwood. Neither tank has especially strong flow when you are away from the filter output, but the 40B is better for that too. They are so pretty, I really want one...but I also want them to be happy.

mesto

Apr 28, 2012
Well, I've researched as much as I can, have also been looking at Panaque spp. And am a little worried about either of these guys in my tanks, mainly for flow issues, also watching my tank this morning I'm not sure there's a lot more territory available for a new fish to carve out. The shrimps own the existing driftwood. The danios like the areas under the filter outputs. Cories own under my big java fern. The gourami and killifish have claimed all other areas (or really, the male gourami owns everything and all other inhabitants just "rent", lol). Everyone gets along now and can "visit" the other territories (platies go everywhere), but a new different fish might need to be a bit more assertive or confident than what Hypancistrus sounds like it would be. The platies were the latest addition and were bullied for a couple weeks after their introduction, but being platies they just dealt with it - although the male did die while I was away on weekend recently and it may have been because the male gourami didn't appreciate him too much.

So I think I've decided against. The problem is that after all this research now I really want a high-flow hillstream tank, lol.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Looking at your 40B stock, I would say you would be fine with a hypancistrus or 2 or 3. The only bottom dwellers you have are the corys, and the shrimp will just be ignored. You could keep a small colony of either the 260s or the 262s in that tank. Or pretty much any other hypancistrus if you wanted to (shameless plug here - I have L400 and L450 fry for sale) without any issues. And I keep sewellia lineolata in my community 46BF tank, with only the 2 AquaClear 70s for flow. And they breed all the time. At 80°. Good luck.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I agree with vanilla- you can keep at least one hypan in that tank and probably a pair. However, I would not count on getting too many fry as they will be seen as lunch by the rest of the inhabitants. Large amanos will eat small fry. Also, hypans have been known to ambush and eat smaller shrimp. Hypans don't need a ton of wood a few pieces are fine.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Also consider the L201; I see mine a lot more than I do my L260s. That said seeing them out and about is pretty rare.

mesto

Apr 28, 2012
This is awesome information, everyone. I can't even believe how beautiful the L450 and L201s are (VR - I am sorely tempted and may be sending you a PM soon!). I'm ok with not seeing the fish very often, in fact I think that would alleviate some of my worries about it seeming too crowded adding another species of fish. It would be extra special to see it only sometimes, as long as it would not starve. I would add a cave; currently I only have wood and plants. My temp is about 77-78.

I have an eheim canister 2211 (rated 39 gal) and a fluval HOB c4 (70 gal) - sometimes the smaller fish get blown around a bit but I have also set up the filters so there are some dead areas for the gouramis to hang out in. Hopefully hypancistrus would hang out on the flowy side?

My fish are pretty peaceful but at feeding time, while there's no fighting, fish and shrimp do sort of belly up to the table together. Hopefully I could toss food in their general direction before lights out to give them a chance if they don't want to be part of the frenzy?

Finally (and most important question, really), are they ok as singles? OR happier as pair or small colony?

Thanks all-

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Hypans do fine as singles, and a cave is pretty much standard fare. I feed mine just before lights out, and they all come out to feed. They will stay on or around the bottom of the tank all the time, and flow or no flow is fine. I do keep mine a bit warmer (80-84°) as hypans do like warmer temps (don't think this is a necessity, just a preference). I see my 450s a little more than the 400s, but always at feeding time. And I feed ALL my fish every other day. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store