Would this work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dtn23

AC Members
Aug 1, 2012
I may be getting a free 15g tank soon from a friend who thinks he has one just laying around somewhere so I've been thinking what to do with it. Was thinking maybe betta sorority, glass catfish only, or the idea I'll be discussing in this thread, but I have a few concerns.

What I'd really like to do is have a planted tank with one centerpiece of driftwood and some lush green low level plants and one centerpiece fish like a gold gourami. Then I'd like to have a large school of neons or cardinals but I'm afraid the tank would be too small for this. I've seen people with huge schools of small tetras and they are so fun to watch but I'm afraid a 15 just wouldn't be enough for them. I could ditch the gourami but I like the idea of that as well. I guess my main questions are these:

1.) Is a 15g tank enough for a school of neon or cardinal tetras to live happily?

2.) If it is, what is the maximum school size I could get away with? With and without the gourami?

On a side note, if anyone knows of or has a really cool build for glass catfish only I'd really like to look into that as well. Something with lower lighting and lots of caves that could keep a larger school of them. Thanks :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would try for a smaller gouramis===maybe a dwarf or "Thick-Lip".

You probably can have a school of 10 or more neons. Less for Cardinals.

IMO---10 Neons and a dwarf Gouramis would be OK (depending on your WCs)

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
The glass catfish like to be in groups of at least 4 or more... A 20 gallon by themselves would be best IMO

You could get a school of neon tetras in a 15 gallon, I would say a school of 5 or 6, but I'm not experienced with them...

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
For a Betta sorority tank you need at least 5 females, so that's out of the question for a 15 gallon. Glass cats are esp shy & get larger, but you could possibly do 3 by themselves. Either a school of neons/cardinals (8-10) or maybe a smaller Gourami like dwarf with some Ghost shrimp. There are actually quite a few small species of fish that could be setup in a 15 gallon, you just have to look around and see what fits you best.

lesleyx

AC Members
May 20, 2012
Scotland
Real Name
Lesley
Camera Used
Mobile
I have glass catfish their in my 55, very shy & sensitive fish they need a few off them too. Mine are getting big their at 5inches. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Try cpd's or another micro rasbora and some pygmy corys.

dtn23

AC Members
Aug 1, 2012
My girlfriend currently has 3 glass cats in her current 15 setup. They do quite well and are about 3'' each. I'd like to have a tank with a full school of them though. I'll shy away from the sorority for now because I'd like that to be closer to a 29 or so. I really like the idea of a large school of neons. I've seen 125g setups with schools of like 100+ cardinals with discus so logic would lead you to believe 10-12 neons in a 15 would be ok but it doesn't always work like that.

Let me redirect my question:

What is the minimum size I should be using for a school of 15-20 neons and possibly one 4-5'' display fish?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What is the minimum size I should be using for a school of 15-20 neons and possibly one 4-5'' display fish?
That is really 2 different questions. IMO a 4-5" fish would need at least a 40gal, a 55 would be better.

But a 55gal will hold 50 neons and the 4-5" fish.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Id say you could do the 15-20 neons in a 15. Maybe 10-15 would be easier tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store