Clownfish HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JorgeTank

Registered Member
Aug 21, 2012
Hi- My boyfriend and I recently bought a salt water tank. We currently have two clownfish in a small tank. We are having a debate about wether the current water pressure from the filter is too much and therefore should be none. Do we need to have water movement in the tank, or will they die if we don't have a bubbles pump?

Please help!!

Jorge

Entold

AC Members
Jan 18, 2012
Oh lord. How small of a tank are we talking? What kind of clownfish? What kind of filter?

The minimum a clownfish needs is 20gallons, so two would need atleast 30gallons. Thats for ocellaris clownfish, but clownfish such as true percula, tomato's, and others need more. Keeping a pair of clownfish in anything smaller than that is just cruel. Also what is a bubbles pump? You should have decent filtration as the clownfish wont mind the water movement. As long as they arent being pushed around/sucked up against the filter then they will be fine.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Saltwater often works on the theory that "too much water movement" is rather unlikely to happen.

Maybe if you have an ridiculously over sized powerhead...or three. Non of the power filters will even come close to the range.

Remember, by ocean standards, too much water movement is called a "Hurricane".

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Are you using any powerheads in the tank?

Unless if you have an outrageously oversized return pump, I cant imagine that you have too much flow. Try to check the information on the pump and post that so we can help you better.

You absolutely need to have water movement in the tank. Im not sure what a bubble pump is? Do you mean a bubble wand? If so, those typically aren't used for SW tanks.

As a very general rule of thumb for now, the flow shouldn't be so much that your fish are constantly getting tossed around no matter where they are in the tank.

Sherah

AC Members
Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
Real Name
Kasyndra
Anything with bubbles in SW is a bad idea, really fast evaporation so there's lots of fluctuations.

I don't know where you are, but I'm trying to get rid of a 35g tank with a nice LED light and a half decent filter, my start up marine tank. :) if your intersted. Quote me and ill send u me email address. I started with 2 perc's! Ill give you some direct advice if you need it as well. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store