Internal Filters for 20 gallon long tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Best internal filter for 20 gallon tank?

• Duetto 100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fluval U2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aqueon Quietflow Interal 30

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Whisper 20i

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I've been using a Duetto 100 internal filter for several years now on my 20 gallon long tank, but I was wanting to get something with more flow or more biofilter capability. The Duetto is really 92 gph, so I bought a Fluval U2 rated at 105 gph.

So far I am not impressed with the flow rate on the Fluval U2. It definitely have more filter media than the Duetto, but I can't imagine the flow is any better than on my Duetto.

My PetSmart also has an Aqueon Quietflow 30 Internal Filter. It is rated from more like 145 gph which would be a nice increase, but the filter media looks to be on par with the Duetto and it's patented biogrid just looks like a bunch of smooth plastic bits that bacteria wouldn't find an easy purchase on. Plus, I've not heard of anyone using the internal version of Aqueon's Quietflow.

So, I'm going to try to put up a poll, but I'd also appreciate anyone's thoughts and experiences with any of these three filters. I'd always been happy with the Duetto, but succumbed to that desire for something "better".

Thanks,

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Space in my room (that extra 2-4" away from the wall makes a difference) and I cannot sleep with the sound of ANY external filter. Internals are essentially silent...even more than canister filters.

Eric

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
i love internals. way better than hob looks wise and sound. ive got a whisper 30I and a 10 I on my 20 long and its super quiet and crystal clear water

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Space in my room (that extra 2-4" away from the wall makes a difference) and I cannot sleep with the sound of ANY external filter. Internals are essentially silent...even more than canister filters.

Eric
I have 3 tanks in my bedroom. Idk about you but I have an hob on EVERY tank. Their is NO noise as long as u keep the water level to maximum. My biggest has an ac110 and it is within 6 feet of my bed, Its silent as ever. You grow to accept it I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
I have 3 tanks in my bedroom. Idk about you but I have an hob on EVERY tank. Their is NO noise as long as u keep the water level to maximum. My biggest has an ac110 and it is within 6 feet of my bed, Its silent as ever. You grow to accept it I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
its also about aesthetics

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
My bedroom is 11'x11'...you can't have anything 6 feet away from the bed. I've had 30 years of experience with all brands of HOBs, and ACs were my favorite...but I just don't sleep well with any noise. If I could come over, I guarantee I'd hear that impeller spinning as a very, very, very quiet hum/buzz, which would keep me awake.

Then again, my wife yells at me all the time for having the TV way too quiet, so my hearing must be pretty good.

OK, who voted for Aqueon and why didn't they share their experiences!

Eric

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I have a bio-wheel on my 20 in my bedroom and I don't hear it, but since you prefer internals... I have heard good things about the tetra whispers

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
I have an aqueon quiet flow 10 on my 10 gallon and that one is pretty quiet. I also have a quiet flow 50 on my 29 gallon but that one is not as quiet. If you want something quiet I would not get the quiet flow. I have the 29 in my room and the noise does not bother me at all but that's me. Other than that I love my quiet flows and the price is good also.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Hey Ray...those are the HOB Aqueons, right? I'm hoping someone will have tried one of the internal Aqueons.

The Fluval U2 and Duetto 100 (turned to half flow rate) are both going on my tank this week...I want to ensure the bacteria have time to colonize the U2. I set the U2 on the middle, "gentle" sprayer bar mode which actually seems to have better flow than the top "aggressive" nozzle. Weird.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store