Overstoked juvies how/when to weed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eDavid

AC Members
Jun 20, 2012
Beginning my foray into Mbuna. Ordered 8 yellow labs for starters from lfs. Since they are supposed to be same coloration between males and females, like other species I will be going for. What behavior will help me tell the boys from the girls. And what age (maybe more obviously what size) should I begin the process of weeding our and relocating? Is it right away or wait for them to mature some?

Thanks

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The males will have a very deep yellow and a very vivd black markings
females yellow isnt as vivid

Separate when you can sex them.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Males have black stripe in dorsel and black pectoral fins.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Evidently you may have not seen poor genetic strains of Yellow Labs, there out there and plenty of them, My favorite Mbuna happens to be the Yellow Lab, Venting is the best way to determine sex, now we can go that route of determining sex by finnage and maybe get lucky a few times but it isn't totally viable, So for me i vent my fish that i will sell to someone.. Pectoral's and egg spots can be misleading..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I agree with Pittbull about determining sex in Yellow Labs. Also, if your 8 labs are juvies, it is very possible that you will not need to weed out or relocate them, unless you want to do so. Let them grow together and most probably they will form a stable group; since labs are a "less aggressive" mbuna species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store