Community tank with Gourami's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Hi,

Can any of you tell me if this would work in a heated 23 Gallon tank?

X5 (Minimum) Extra Danio’s (Add to x1 you already have)

X2 Platies;

x2 Guppies;

X1-2 (Choose from these: Pearl Gourami OR Sparkling Gourami OR Dwarf Gourami)

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Can't decide Tropical Fish!

Ok,

Bored, confused and replying to my own messages! lmao

But hey, anyhow...

I just read some more about Guppies and Platies and other info online contradicts what I was previously told (eh can't remember where I heard they get along) and with no info just yet here, I am reconsidering my whole list again....

:eek:

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
I would personally do sparkling gourami. The pearl is a little big for that tank IMO and also they are slow enough that I have heard they get stressed in the presence of zebras, which move fast and constantly, plus they'd be kind of packed in with the danios. I have danios with mine but they are a species that are smaller and calmer than zebras, at least from what I've seen, also my tank is big enough for the gouramis to get away from the danios. Mainly the size is what would count pearl out for me though. If you did do pearl I'd definitely only do one. The dwarf gouramis I hear are often poor stock so they are not very hardy.

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Sparkling Gouramis are very shy & housing them with Danio's might not be a good idea. Danios are like sharks when it comes to feeding time & might be too much competition for them. A single pearl may be fine but they do better in groups, unlike other gouramis that constantly bicker.

Platies get much bigger then Guppies & sometimes will boss them around. I've had this happen several times but if you have enough hiding places it should be fine. I have two large (ones about 5 inches, other is slightly smaller) Redwags that don't mess with my 4 adult guppies but will chase them from time to time whenever I put food in.

What other stock were you considering?

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Ahh good point about sparklings, as I don't have them I am not sure how shy they are. I have heard of people's pearls getting upset by ZDs too though, for that very reason.

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Hmm, unfortunately my hubbies taken the decision out of my hands, while I was going funny trying to decide he's up n decided we are getting just more Danios etc I have the one lil one he wants us to figure out what it is and just get a heap of those only.... Waaaah!!

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Lol dang. I'm not a big fan of danios unless they have the long finnage.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Hmm, he thinks they'd be cool just one BIG school zig zagging around the tank! Lmao

They're ok for me but I really wanted a community tank..... :angryfire: Lol

Well, if anything happens to the two Goldfish, which I hope it doesn't he will let me choose what to replace them with hopefully.... But they are pretty fish I just hope I can save them they're having problems atm....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store