marineland c 160 drips

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
I woke up today with a puddle of water to the left side and back of the cannister. I cleaned the rings and tubes and made sure everything was tight, but i think it is still leaking, not as much as it was before but it still is. its not a lot of leaking at once, just a water drop drips down the side every few minutes,

any suggestions?

thanks

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Honestly, I'd replace it. I don't trust filters long-term to begin with so I wouldn't risk trying to nurse one along that has known issues. Just make sure it really is the filter unit leaking. Sometimes an accumulation of moisture along tubing or where the filter and tank touch can form occasional drops which appear to be a filter leak or a tank leak when they're not.

I take it from your post the drops are clearly on the filter though.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
is it by any chance a coldwater tank (or colder than your room air at any rate) and is your humidity high? I am wondering if it could be condensation rather than leak.... okay not likely but best to check all possibilities before going to the expense of replacing a filter. :(

good luck.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Can you tell if it is from the head/body mating area? I would recommend slathering that head gasket with vasoline after a good inspection. Can you observe if it is from the valve block..building up in the well then dripping on the side? Is this an older one that you picked up or have you had it since new and for how long?

Last edited:

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
i bought the filter brand new just about 3 years ago. I can see the water seems to come off the side of the locks on the canister. when i left to go out for about an hour it wasnt dripping at all, but now i just got back and it was wet around the filter again.

if i do need a new one, i think i want to get a different canister. My tank is a 20 gallon long. how does the fluval 205 perform?

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
I would just put the canister in some sort of rubber maid container and order all new "O" rings. You could try the vasoline like Rbishop said but that is only a temporary fix.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I use vasoline not as a temp fix, but to get a good seal. The 160 C is the tightest fitting in the series..a pain to break apart...if those baskets are off even a tad as you stack them or a slight twist to the head ring, the top is hard to get locked and sealed. Just my experience.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
I use vasoline not as a temp fix, but to get a good seal. The 160 C is the tightest fitting in the series..a pain to break apart...if those baskets are off even a tad as you stack them or a slight twist to the head ring, the top is hard to get locked and sealed. Just my experience.
Vasoline expands and degrades the neoprene in"O" rings. Reduces the life of the rubber.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not in my experience..have been using it on any/all canisters for 40 years without any issues. Only o-ring I ever replaced was one that I pinched and cut thru when I was in a hurry. Possibly so in a high temp evironment or with certain fluids...highly unlikely in a FW set up. Have maintained power plant pumps for years and know the issue you refere to with specifc o-ring materials...but just have never seen it happen with common aquarium equipment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store