New stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Hey everyone

As some of you know, I got a 29g at the $1 per gallon sale at petco. I set it up and cycled it. I have come up with many stocking ideas, and settled on one. But now the fish have died in qt for the most part.

My plan I was going for

3 male guppies
6ish long finned zebra danios
1 dwarf flame gourami
and some corries (never decided what kind).

I put the guppies and a couple long finned danios in the 29 to keep the cycle. I waited about a week, and moved my single guppy from my 10g and got it ready to be a qt tank. I got 3 more long finned danios and put them in the 10g for qt. So I kind of had 2 qt tanks going. In the end, there wasnt much to loose other than one guppy I had for a year.

So one guppy died, then a while later a danio, then another guppy, then another danio. Then I went and got the dwarf gourami and put him in the 10g for qt (keeping the danios in there as well). He seemed totally fine and then was dead when I got home one day. Now today my last guppy died. More specifics can be found here
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?266285-unexplained-dying-in-2

So anyway, now I am left with 4 fish. All long finned zebra danios that all seem fine. One of them is a little shy, but seems healthy other than that. He swims around and then hides if you walk up to the tank. 2 in the 10g qt and two in the 29g.

What should I do for stocking now? Guppies are out of the question. The only thing for sure now is maybe one or two more long finned zebra danios.

I am thinking a colorful school of something like cardinal tetras or some other tetra.

What do you think?

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
My lfs has some cool guppies, but they are all barely past the state of being fry. So they would have to be in my 10g for a while to grow a bit bigger. A lot of them could actually get sucked into the filters instead of just stuck to the intake.

I think I would rather have a school of something like some sort of tetras. It would be cool to have one sort of centerpiece fish like the dwarf gourami was supposed to be. But after more research dwarf gourami dont seem to live very long and become ill very easily.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
My experience with dwarf gouramis hasn't been that good, they've done great for several months then will suddenly show signs of dwarf gouami disease. $2 you can pick up fluval prefilter sponges that will slip over most intakes I use them on aquaclear 50's, just have to yank them off and squeeze them out every 4 days, or DIY with some pantyhose.

Maybe a Ram or a pair of them instead of gourami's?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store