How many jewel cichlids could I keep in a 75 gallon aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
I work at a pet store and we get a 30% discount and I'm thinking of getting a new 75 gallon tank. I really like jewel cichlids but was told that as far as cichlids go, they're very aggressive and need a lot of room. I was thinking 5-7 of them but that might be too much. And I read they get even more aggressive if they pair off for breeding. I don't want fry (as I wouldn't know what to do with them).

These are the ones I really like the looks of. I have a lot to choose from. One of my coworkers is a resident cichlid expert but I'd like as much input as I can get.

I searched for hours but there is no place online that tells me how many I can stock. I should clarify that I understand jewels don't do well with other species and that I plan on keeping a species specific tank.

Thanks!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
After several attempts over the decades I gave up on jewels. Mostly they murdered each other within days. I'd try a pair and see how it goes. Have lots of hiding places in your tank. Even then they may still kill each other. Nasty little critters.

Mark

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
That's....incredibly discouraging. :p I'm one to play it safe so I probably won't risk it. Why do the pretty ones have to be ultra aggressive murderers?

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
That's....incredibly discouraging. :p I'm one to play it safe so I probably won't risk it. Why do the pretty ones have to be ultra aggressive murderers?
Evolution at work. =)

I'd say get a jewel and see if you can mix it with a different cichlid, but there are always risks. If you get them when they are young you have a way better chance as they will claim their territory and only fight on the lines of the territory. Just make sure to put places to hide and big obstacles to distract them from each other. If you start to see real fin damage put the fish in a QT tank and when it's healed bring it to a responsible LFS.

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
Alright, I've decided to steer clear of the jewels. While pretty they are not LAKE cichlids and that limits my options if I want to add to the system. I went out and bought the 75 gallon and will have it set up and cycling for a couple weeks. This gives me plenty of time to do some more research and figure out my stocking options. My LFS just got some Jacobfreibergi Peacocks and I'm impressed by how gorgeous they look.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
LOL, good choice. I'm with wesleydnunder. I've tried I don't know how many times over the years and always end up with one jewel in a tank by itself. Have one right now who's been in a 20 long for three years by himself after killin' his mate and manglin' a coupla much larger synodontis cats. Probly the most consistently violent and murderous species of cichlid I've ever kept. You'll be much happier with the jakes.

WYite

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
How many of the peacocks can I keep? What can I keep with them? Suggestions people! :p I'd rather not have a mono species tank if I can avoid it.

fishyfishfish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2012
I have a pair in a way to small tank right now (30 GAL), didn't expect them to spawn that fast. LFS kind of laughed at me at first when I told them I thought they were pairing up, now they are just amazed. Have them with 2 electric blues and now 1 yellow lab, 1 lab died already and was severely chewed up, left him to die in piece in my 5 gal.

but they mostly kept to them selves till the babies came, really were not aggressive at all, now they are monsters, they own the bottom of the entire tank and wont let them near the substrate

My electric blues are very good at dodging their attacks though so far, yellow labs not so much...in the process of spinning up a 75 GAL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store