Purigen and Nutrafin Aqua Plus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

roland6543

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
Normally I use Prime as a dechlorinator but since I had some left over Aqua Plus I wanted to use it during the reconditioning step of my Purigen. Because Seachem warns about toxicity resulting from reconditioning with amine based dechlorinators, I decided to do some research.

Unfortunately there are some conflicting, and at best misleading, posts out there. So I contacted both Seachem and Hagen. After much back and forth, finally a definitive answer from Hagen:

" What I understand from below is whether AquaPlus contains a slime coater replacer, the answer is yes. The chemical family of the slime coat replacer is : amide.

Is Aquaplus an amine based dechlorinator. No.

Does Aquaplus contains amine, yes in the form of EDTA.

We hope this information helps."

So there we have it. DO NOT USE AQUA PLUS WITH PURIGEN.

To me there is still one unanswered question and that is would a tertiary amine such as edta (which normally used in very small quantities), actually bond with chlorine to form chloramines and render the Purigen toxic? I don't know the answer to that and am unwilling to take the risk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store