UV Sterilizer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
Will a UV Sterilizer keep algae from growing on my fake plants and rocks?
Will it only controle algae from tinting the water green?
My tanks stay clear but I'm sick of bleaching. I use a Diatom filter so maybe it's redundant getting a UV Sterilizer.
Thanks
Cylon

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
UV is just for treating water, wont prevent algae from growing on decor or glass.

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
+1 Jpappy

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
I don't know much about Algae types. It grows on my white fake coral and light colored plants. I have to bleach about every 3 weeks. I do have bright T5 lights so I thought it was normal. My nitrates might be a bit high at the moment. my tank is in transition. I'm redoing my 125 and taking my fluval 404 and my emperor 400 off and replacing it with a fluval FX5. I have allot of bright colors so it seems the algae like to pick them out.
3309.jpg

3309.jpg

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Reduce time light is on to about 6 hr. Cut back on feeding.

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
I'm good on the light time. I do feed a bit much. the afticans love to eat. I guess I will have to deal with bleaching. I like to watch the fish eat. I guess it's a give and take. Just wondered if the UV was the way to go. I guess it doesn't do what I want. Thanks for all your help and ideas. Glad i didn't waste the money.

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
T5s seem a bit too much on a non planted tank...IMO
I remember reading somewhere that T5 bulbs need to be replaced for best plant growth. I just brought my new light fixtures about a month ago when I started redoing my tank. Do you think in about 6 months I will get less algae growth or is this not really true?

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Never been a big believer in a company saying that you need to replace bulbs every so many months. They are after all in the business of selling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store