Final planning for my 55 gal. Tips, pointers, or critiques?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Binnsey

AC Members
Nov 5, 2008
London, Canada
I am just about done planning my 55 gallon, and just wanted some of you wonderful people to have a look and let me know if I am missing anything. I posted a few weeks ago in the newbie section when I hadn't sorted everything out so now that I have it sorted, I thought it would be a good chance to get a final once over so I can get this aquarium running!

55 gallon
1 Penguin 350b biowheel
1 Eheim 2213 classic cannister
200 watt Eheim Jager heater
2 light fixtures 19 watt bulbs? I likely need to replace these as they are a few years old
Pool Filter Sand for substrate

Stock list:
2x German Blue Rams
20x Cardinal Tetra
7x Corydoras
7x otos

Plants:
Root tabs to start fertilization
Java fern
Java moss
possibly Amazon Sword
Crypts of some kind

I am unsure of the plant list as I have never planted a tank before. Also, I am wondering if a BN pleco is a good thought to help keep things tidy. I do like the idea of having some form of a cleanup crew, hence the otos.

Any feedback or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
The pleco. with the plants usually isn't a good idea, purely because the pleco. may eat your plants!
Hmmm, I would have to agree with this MOSTLY. Common plecos wont work for sure. The thing with plecos is they normally do not eat plants, they uproot them not on purpose but when they get big their caudal fin destroys everything.and they tear up delicate leaves with their sucker mouth. I have a half dozen bristlenose plecos in my heavily planted aquarium from 1/2" to my 'foot long' pleco ;). The big 1 is becoming an enormous hassle to try and keep everything rooted. Mostly my stem plants, my swords and stuff do fine. But all of my bn tear up my broad leaved plant leaves really bad. So I think you fine but no way in hell will you be able to keep anything extremely delicate like hc and glosso stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Hello I would like to give a few suggestions if that's ok with you.

For a tank of this size, I think you will need more cory cats, in a planted tank you will likely only see 3 or 4 corys at a time and they are very small fishes. I would recommend 15+ corys. Consider 2 schools of fish. Big and small. A large group of tiny tetras, and a modest sized group of tiger barbs, or rainbowfish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Binnsey

AC Members
Nov 5, 2008
London, Canada
I can't get a read on the bulbs. They are flourescent tubes and they say 19 watts on them. Two 24 inch hoods on my tank, so it is possible that I will need to change that for planting. I think they might have came with the tank as I bought it second hand. I can post a picture of them if that will help.

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
I think T8's are 32 watt. You should go with T5HO's in planted tank.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Once you are done, cycling, stocking, upgrading the lights, etc. can I have it???? LOL!! This is exactly what I would have if I could do it over, knowing what I know now. But I still love my current set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store