Do mbuna like current

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eDavid

AC Members
Jun 20, 2012
Just curious, I had a community tank set up, and I noticed the fish didn't like to go near the end with the filter exhaust, even after I aimed the nozzles up and against the glass. It's a powerful filter too. I was wondering if mbuna like the current, or should I keep it aimed the same?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Keeping the filter outlet aimed at the glass will def break it up a bit, you can add a sponge to the inlet and should add as a deterrence as it ages but remember to clean the sponge because a very dirty sponge is a clogged filter..

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
My mbuna seem to enjoy the circulation. I have 2 circulation jets, one at each end of my tank.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I've read that they don't care for current, but I've got the outputs from 2 strong filters pointed directly at the front glass in my 150g mbuna tank, and they have never seemed bothered by it.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
In my 120gal i have just one large powerhead at the top aiming the length of the tank, its a little turbulent but the Tang's do not mind this action, but then again mine is not producing waves as to be too strong for them, if not careful some aquarists will over do it.. If your fish are having a hard time staying in one place you may have too much current..

Most Mbuna that have been bred in captivity are not use to high currents

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
In my 120gal i have just one large powerhead at the top aiming the length of the tank, its a little turbulent but the Tang's do not mind this action, but then again mine is not producing waves as to be too strong for them, if not careful some aquarists will over do it.. If your fish are having a hard time staying in one place you may have too much current..

Most Mbuna that have been bred in captivity are not use to high currents
Yeah I have to say if your banging your fish off the glass it's too much.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I wouldn't worry about it and leave it as is. I have an FX5 on my mbuna tank and I've seen my Fuelleborni try to swim INTO it to graze. The others do not seem to care one way or the other.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Countryboy Wrote:
Yeah I have to say if your banging your fish off the glass it's too much.
LOL Awesome.. But soo true..

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Mine love the filter outflow, especially with a spray bar fitted.

I agree - if they start looking like Discus up against the tank wall, its too strong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store