30 gal breeder suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0tto

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
Hey guys I've been lurking around reading for a couple years now, never really posted or contributed too much. Just been soaking up all the info I can. I have just set up a new tank its 36"x12"x16" and I have about 2.5" of pool filter sand as a substrate. I have 2 13watt CFL's and an 18watt T8 for a total of 44watts of light. I'm running a few HOB filters for roughly 400gph of filtration and I haven't stocked it with any fish yet. I would like to do a community tank, and I am looking to plant some low-maintenance plants. I wouldn't mind dosing ferts or putting in root tabs of some sort but I don't want to mess with CO2. I would still like it to look fresh and green though, is this possible? Do I need to add anything to the substrate? What do you guys recommend?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Some fairly easy plants would be along the lines of java fern, crypts, anubias, some mosses, etc. there is actually quite a lot you could choose from. Some plants like crypts and swords are a bit heavier root feeders and would appreciate root tabs. Others wont need them, and obviously any that aren't actually planted in the substrate wouldn't get any benefit. When I first had a low maintenance tank (a standard 30g) I occasionally added flourish comp and excel so that's an option.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Your lighting is suitable for low light stuff, first thing is to make sure you have the right bulbs though 5500k-8000k is the preferred range. The only thing you would need to add to the substrate is root tabs for root feeding type plants, liquid fert's for the ones who take in nutrients from the water. Some swords, crypts, java ferns, val's, java moss should all grow with your light conditions. Just try to stick with the stuff that reccomends low or medium lighting.

0tto

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
Ok great, my 2 cfl's are 6500k and my T8 is 8000k. I have been looking over at Bob's tropical plants. Should I buy his root tabs? Are those good ones, or is there another brand I should get?

0tto

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
Alright thanks, I'm going to put in an order over there. Appreciate the advice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store