First a new neon tetra, then a day later, our 2 year old betta :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Justlegos

AC Members
Jul 8, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Justin
Hello all, yesterday one of our neon tetra's we introduced into the tank had died. We had just introduced it 2 days ago, and I noticed that it had turned a pale color in the morning. When I came home from school, I found it dead. I disposed of it, thinking it died from not getting acclimated to the tank.

Sadly, this morning, Johnny Bigmac the 2nd, our betta, was incredibly pale and looked like he had caught "ich" within the time I disposed of the neon tetra, and the time I was asleep. I told my dad to go to our LFS and ask him what had happened to our fish, and hopefully buy medicine for Johnny. When I came home, I found the medicine on the table, but Johnny was missing. I removed the cave, only to find Johnny's lifeless body there.

I feel terrible, but I wish to know why he died, and if there is anything to prevent this from happening in the future. Obviously I believe it is from "ich" but does can it really kill a fish without showing visual signs within 24 hours?

I also cleaned the tank after I added the new fish, and rinsed off the filter, because it was blocking the bio-wheel from moving.

Thanks for the replies, I feel terrible, as I appear to have made plenty of mistakes as a beginner fish keeper. Since our family considers Johnny a part of the family, I think we'll give him a proper burial, for good times sake.

EDIT: I bought the neon tetras from petsmart, they have given us good healthy fish before, but I guess we had a bad one :(

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Ich would display itself as small, white, raised "spots"...so unless you saw those I would not assume ich.

We need more information about the tank...

What is the size, full stock, and filtration of the tank?
How old is the tank and how was it cycled?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings from a good, liquid test kit?
What is your normal maintenance routine?
How exactly did you introduce the tetras? Did you quarantine?
What is added to the tank on a regular basis?

Justlegos

AC Members
Jul 8, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Justin
20 Gallon tank, it was stocked with 4 platies, and a betta. Then we introduced 5 neon tetras and a pleco (can't remember the breed, the sign said this one grew up to 4 inches compared to the 20 inches of normal ones). The tank runs on a penguin filter, which had one filter in it's cartridge, which was rinsed the day before the neon tetra died.
The tank is about 2 months old, and was cycled by placing our betta in the tank (previously in a bowl).
I do not have a test kit that gives readings, but I use an API one that uses color. When I cleaned the water, the ammonia levels were in check.
I do about a 15-20% water change weekly.
We left the tetras in the bag in the water for about 5 minutes, then added some of the water for another 5 minutes, then we let them loose.
All we add is food.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Are you using any sort of conditioner for chlorine/chloramine? Are you rinsing the filter media in tap water or...?

I'd definitely get a liquid test kit and make sure you aren't experiencing ammonia or nitrite. Your tank had to have gone through a fish-in cycle at some point and may very well still be in the midst of one.

In the future I highly suggest quarantine for new fish.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
20 Gallon tank, it was stocked with 4 platies, and a betta. Then we introduced 5 neon tetras and a pleco (can't remember the breed, the sign said this one grew up to 4 inches compared to the 20 inches of normal ones). The tank runs on a penguin filter, which had one filter in it's cartridge, which was rinsed the day before the neon tetra died.
The tank is about 2 months old, and was cycled by placing our betta in the tank (previously in a bowl).
I do not have a test kit that gives readings, but I use an API one that uses color. When I cleaned the water, the ammonia levels were in check.
I do about a 15-20% water change weekly.
We left the tetras in the bag in the water for about 5 minutes, then added some of the water for another 5 minutes, then we let them loose.
All we add is food.
BTW the pleco you have is probably a bristle nose pleco.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
Hi, very sorry for your loss. I understand it must be very disheartening to lose a fish esp one you have had for sometime and become attached to... One thing I feel from your post is that you might have over cleaned your tank. Especially, the filter shouldn't be cleaned thoroughly. Better to rinse the media etc with tank water rather than tap water. By over cleaning you might have destroyed the "good" bacteria which could have led to ammonia/nitrite spike. Just a thought....

Justlegos

AC Members
Jul 8, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Justin
Thanks for the replies.

To prevent other fish from getting ich, I added a chemical that included malachite green called QuICK Cure, and added the amount that it recommended for neon tetras. However, later, my mom added MORE to it without telling me. As soon as I heard I did a 15% water change with the water treatment chemical as always.

However, this morning I noticed Isabella, our red wag platy was constantly opening her mouth. I thought she might be suffocating so I looked up some info, and it appeared true. In hopes of adding more oxygen to the tank I lowered the water level by about an inch. This afternoon however, I came home from cross country to find her dead. Should I get an air pump? Should I transfer my fish to a friends tank for the time being?

Thanks for the replies, hopefully this mistake will allow me to become a better fish keeper to prevent this from happening in the future.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Why are you assuming your fish had ich? Like I said, none of what you originally said are the tell-tale signs of ich as paleness could really be from any sort of stress.

I really think you need to make sure that you are not experiencing ammonia or nitrite since you could easily be in a mini cycle or still in the original cycle to begin with at this point. Ammonia can irritate the gills and nitrite essentially outcompetes oxygen uptake so gasping could be an indicator of either. Unless your tank was completely still or you have a way to test for dissolved O2 I would NOT just assume low DO2 levels.

Justlegos

AC Members
Jul 8, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Justin
So, could our betta have died from ammonia poisoning? Is a common symptom turning white around the gills and then the rest of the body?

On the other hand, the platy that died did not change color, but was gasping for air.

To prevent more fish from dieing, should I do a water change? When I tested the water it appeared to have .25 ppm instead of the normal 0 from the ammonia testing kit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store