I need the help of betta people, please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Yes this whole situation is my fault but it was inevitable unfortunately but now I'm here to fix it. Flame away if you need, ill take it.

6 months ago my parents and I had a major knock down blow out fight and I moved out with what I could pack in an hour. I wasn't able to take my betta. I came home today for the first time since the beginning of March and my betta is still alive. I don't know the proper steps to helping him without doing more harm than good. He's in a not filtered or heated environment right now, with about 3 inches of water, some rcs and a few live plants.

I am going to be taking him with me when I leave this time.

I can't express how hurt I am over what I have done to him. Please help me help him.

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
You need to get that tank full of de-chlorinated water ASAP. I would probably get some Prime or StressCoat to add because he will probably go through a bit of "new tank syndrome". I would give him a little bit of food at a time and build him back up to his normal amount. I would then do 5-10% water changes every 3-4 days.

Good Luck!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
There's prime here already, all my fish stuff is untouched. I was worried about old tank syndrome and was wondering if it'd be better to add water back slowly

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
You could, although by "slowly" I would add a cup or so every hour or two.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I wouldn't do a big change in water, slow is how I would do it. It is amazing what bettas can survive and with your care I am sure it will be fine. I would maybe add a little fresh tonight, then some in the morning, some later tomorrow night. Build him back up slowly with the fresh water is what I say.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I think the situation may not be as dire as it sounds, or probably looks. Reason? you say the RCS are still alive too. Yes bettas are incredibly resilient, consider the ones they have a walmare (ack spit ptooey) in the tiny tubs the size of a small sour cream package. They survive that for weeks at least. RCS, while sturdy as shrimp go, are still decent barometers of water quality. I vote with the add-fresh-water-a-cup-at-a-time school, it sounds like there is plenty of room in the tank for addition.

Once you have it to maybe half full--no sooner than a day or two--start taking out a cup first, then adding 2 cups. By the time it's filled it should have had a fairly complete WC without any large changes at one time. Leave him /them there for another day or two then start regular water changes of maybe 25% at a time every 4-5 days. Transition to completely new water should be complete in a couple of weeks and everybody breathes (gillifies?) a sigh of relief. :)

glad to hear there's been at least some level of reconciliation with the parental units too. Those situations are emotionally tough on everybody.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Slow sounds best but um only here until monday. I'm strongly considering redoing his whole set up in a different tank.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
forgot to ask, how big is this tank? And are you taking it with you?

same situation in any event. Bag up inhabitants with, say, half tank water and half fresh. Empty and clean tank and contents (you say it was "unfiltered", was there no filter on it or it was just unplugged? Might be salvagable) whether you're taking it or not, just as a nice gesture. Once home make such new arrangements as seem suitable.

If you don't want the cherries any more I can im you my address.... although they may want to stay with their bud the betta after all they've been through together. :)

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
It's a 10 gal with an unplugged sponge filter. I will probably move him to a 5 bow, as it will fit in my apartment better

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I also have melafix and pimafix also maracyn-two at my disposal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store