Red Headed Severums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Just picked two of these guys up today. The previous owner was needing to empty their tank quickly for a move so I got the pair for 20 bucks! This is the smaller of the two. They are both pretty washed out at the moment and won't eat but I figure they will turn around in a day or so. The owner was feeding them only shrimp pellets so I look forward to giving them a varied diet.

If you have any tips or suggestions regarding them, I'd love to hear. These are the largest fish I have ever owned!

severum-2.jpg severum.jpg

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
The one pictured is male. Heros sp. "Rotkeil" are awesome fish! I have a breeding pair and they are usually the first fish people see and they are always stunned by them. They definitely do better in bigger tanks so your 75g would be ideal. There isn't anything too special with care for them, just a varied diet and frequent water changes. Good Luck!

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks, they are in the 75g. How can you tell it is a male?

They have colored up more today and as long as they don't see me they come out. The one pictured ate a shrimp pellet for me. It wanted to come up for flakes but was still too scared. Maybe tonight or tomorrow...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great fish and pics! Congrats!

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
Thanks, they are in the 75g. How can you tell it is a male?
Males will have worming on their faces while females won't. Here's an old photo of my pair when they were about the age of yours, male on the right female on the left.

Severums 4-15-11 007.jpg

Aquanero

"In omnibus speciebus. Adunatum."
Feb 14, 2011
New Jersey
Real Name
Tom
Nice pick-up they look good. Congrats.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Males will have worming on their faces while females won't. Here's an old photo of my pair when they were about the age of yours, male on the right female on the left.
Wow; what stunners!

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Here is the other, larger sev. I am guessing that they are both males now. Will this be a problem in my tank? The larger does chase/bully the smaller now. They also are still not eating for me. They go for the food but are spitting it back out. :(

severum-5.jpg

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Wow! I am so jealous...I have been wanting rotkiels for a long time. They are gorgeous! I wouldn't wor too much at this point about them not eating. IME every time I move one of my larger cichlids they act all freaky and stop eating. Sounds ike you are offering different food as well. Just let them settle in and I bet they settle down. Beautiful fish....

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
They gobbled up bloodworms for me today. I don't want to get them stuck on the goodies but I am happy that they finally ate something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store